Sunday, December 6, 2009

Nativity Open House - multiple post day!

I have spent most of my waking (and some of my sleeping) moments the last 3 days working on our church's annual Nativity Open House. It came together well - a huge thank you to everyone who worked on it! It is the activity that requires the most work every year and it usually not very well attended but I truly don't care. I LOVE the nativity. I spent hours thinking of how to best highlight Christ. I spent hours visiting with sweet friends, munching on cookies and listening to Christmas music while we were setting up. It was so relaxing and refreshing. And when it was over, it was wonderful to see so many youth and men show up to help us take it all down in less than an hour.

My friend Alisa documented it so well. Check out her blog before you read further.

I love the effect it has had on her family! That is exactly what all the work was for. This year we had two low tables with pre-school & stuffed nativities for the children to play with. It was wonderful! I loved watching the kids play and arrange and really get into the story.

I love how children will almost always have every person and animal crowded around baby Jesus instead of spread out like we usually place them. But isn't that how it would be? Wouldn't we all crowd around to just watch him sleep?


I've done the nativity 3 times now. The last two years that I have done it, I have ended the tour with pictures of Christ's life & ministry. Here is one part of it:
I love that the two small pictures in front are of Mary holding Christ and the large picture behind is of Christ holding a young girl. Full circle.

This year we had Nativities from Japan, Ethiopia, Mexico, & Cuba. It is amazing how alike and yet how different they all are. It really feels like CHRISTmas this year.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...