Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Tree of Life



We spent a wonderful 3 hours tonight putting up our tree and decorating it. We had Christmas music playing and hot chocolate to sip on. Putting up the tree necessitated some re-arranging which was preempted by some cleaning. The result is a relaxing moment in a clean living room with soft music and softer lights right now.


It was one of those rare, perfect nights. We worked together. We laughed. We talked. We took pictures. We had enough lights working to finish the tree. After the tree was up, we sat on the couch with hot cocoa and had a devotional from the Christmas Devotional book. (a book I compiled a few years ago based on this article.)

Nov. 30 - The Invitation - the invitation to meet together for a few minutes each night in December to remember the Savior. We read Matthew 18:20 - "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" and sang "Oh, Come All Ye Faithful".

Since we had put up the tree, I read the next day's devotional - "The Tree of Life". We read 1 Nephi 11: 8-25 about the Tree of Life. We talked about the symbolism on our tree -

*The needles point upward to Heaven. They remind us of heaven, our Savior and his eventual return.
*The white lights remind us of the light of Christ, the Light that can lead us back home.
*The Ornaments - love and memories. Some of the ornaments are from my parents & were on our tree when I was a kid. Some are gifts from dear friends. Some are cherished homemade gifts from Ryan over the years. The apple ornaments remind me of my grandparents who had an orchard when I was growing up. 12 olive wood ornaments depict the nativity and were a wedding gift from a dear friend who bought them in the Holy Land. Many tell our family story as we have a tradition of getting an ornament (or something I can make into an ornament) at all of our family events or milestones. This year we have added a couple of ornaments from Nauvoo and our Arkansas Thanksgiving.

*The Red Ornaments - remind us of the atonement. They are small ornaments, but scattered throughout the tree.
*The angel - growing up we always had an angel on our tree. She was the last thing placed on the tree and was treated like spun gold. My dad always put her on the tree while we kids watched, mesmerized. Our tree is topped with Angel Moroni, blowing his horn. Ryan placed him on the tree tonight, so excited to take on that honored job. Angel Moroni makes my home feel a bit like the temple, at least for the next few weeks.
*The Tree Skirt- I made from green crushed velvet. Tonight I teared up when I saw it. Over the years, we have had a tradition of painting our handprint on the skirt. I couldn't believe how small Ryan's hand used to be. And then all the loved ones handprints- grandma, Tim and Shelby... I am so glad that they each have a place in our Christmas.

After we talked about the symbolism of our tree, I read the following poem:

"The Gospel Tree"
Author Unknown

There once was a shining Christmas tree
Standing out where all could see
Its brilliance captured every eye
And seemed to cheer each passerby.

"The lights are so bright" they would say
And hesitate to walk away.
The tree stood proud ablaze with light
For every light was burning bright

Then one bulb was heard to say
"I'm tired of burning night and day;
I think I'll just go out and rest
For I'm too tired to do my best;
Besides, I am so very small
I doubt if I'd be missed at all."

Then a child lovingly touched the light,
"Look, mother, this one shines so very bright
I think of all the lights upon the tree
This one looks the best to me."

"Oh, my goodness," said the light
"I almost dimmed right out of sight.
I thought perhaps no one would care
If I failed to shine my share."
With that glorious brilliance came
For every light had felt the same.

Our Gospel, is like this Christmas tree,
With little lights which are you and me.
We each have a space that we must fill
With love, and lessons, and good will.

Let's keep our tree ablaze with light
With testimonies burning bright.
For our Gospel is a living tree
That lights the way to eternity.

The perfect evening was ended with a sweet family prayer. Tonight I am grateful to feel the Spirit. It was a sweet, perfect evening. I am grateful that Christmas is here.

2 comments:

Judi said...

What a nice evening you had! Thanks for sharing it.

So where were you in Arkansas?

Hope all is well.

Jennifer said...

I want to live in your house for Christmas. It sounds like you have exactly the Spirit I want in my house. I hope you'll share more about your devotionals, or the book you put together. ;)

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...