Thursday, December 10, 2009

Feeling the Need...

For some download speed! Who knew I was so attached to functioning high speed internet?! Either the Google people or my server or someone has been struggling the last few days making it almost impossible to load anything & thus blog anything. The one time in history I am trying to blog daily and mayhem ensues. It appears to be working correctly now. Great rejoicing!

And apparently Ryan is feeling the need to sing. His choir class has been watching "The Sound of Music" this past week. He is currently in the shower singing "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" He is on key and he knows more of the words than I do and I know this is the first time he has sat through the movie. He cracks me up!

Lastly - I want you all to know that one person can make a difference. It is a long story, but I have a student that was falling in between the cracks. I attend a meeting of the powers that be about said student last month where I was asked to collect a ton of data and come back. We met last week where I was told that because of a glitch, said student would stay in the crack. I sat in the meeting sooooo frustrated. I knew the family situation and I knew there isn't anyone to be an advocate for said kiddo. I thought of my mom and how she became a powerful advocate for Learning disabled kiddos. I truly have tried every avenue that I can think of and the door was shutting on the last ray of hope. I lost it. I started crying in the middle of the meeting. I couldn't talk clearly. I kept trying to stop, but ended up with tears trickling down my cheeks for the next hour. The others in the meeting felt bad and decided to call a meeting of the "big wigs" to find some clarification and explanation of glitch. I spent the week mentally preparing myself and coming up with more ways that I could help since I didn't have much hope today's meeting would go well. Short story long now, but the meeting went really, really well! Not only will my student continue in the process, but these "clarifications" will affect the entire district. Tonight I am so grateful to my mom. So many times she felt the need to speak up and often embarrassed us kids by causing a firestorm in our schools. I am so grateful for her example. She fought for kids. Everyone at school keeps commenting on my passion for kids. I got it from my mom. One person can make a difference, many times for generations in the future. Thanks Mom!

2 comments:

The Lantern-Sharing Light and Searching for Truth said...

Thanks Julie

Sara said...

Good for you Julie! You truly have a very loving heart. You are example to me of Christ-like love. I am sure Mom is just as proud of you as I am.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...