Friday, December 11, 2009

Healer - Dec. 11

(Sorry this wasn't posted last night. I fell asleep typing it and when I awoke at 2:30, the computer wouldn't download. Also, I am going to post Dec. 12 & 13 today so that I can be a day ahead & plan a bit better - J)


Healer. I love the word. Jesus Christ was a healer. He touched away blindness & withered limbs. He healed minds and hearts, restoring hope. His life was filled with service & love for others. He is our perfect example of how to love each other and heal our hearts.

5 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were ain tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.
6 And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with acompassion towards you.

9 And it came to pass that when he had thus spoken, all the multitude, with one accord, did go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their ablind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee asick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me.

One thing that I love is that Christ went to the people who were shunned. Even today Lepers are set aside from society. Christ went to them. I was thinking of who would he go to today - people who we tend to shun. I thought of those with AIDS, homeless, mentally ill, addicted, gangs, elderly, seriously ill, extreme poverty, convicts.

We too have the power to be healers. A few years ago, a lawyer friend asked if I would go to the prison with him to translate for a client. While it was an unsettling education, the visit was uneventful and our business was complete. Then my friend asked if we could visit another client. A young man, 18 or 19 was brought in, and I sat in the corner while the two talked. The young man had made a few years of bad choices with this last offense being the final straw. The family had called my lawyer friend to help him, but had pulled back emotionally because the hurt was too great and they hoped that maybe a tough love approach might finally make a difference. He had been in the jail for a few days, enough to be sober & clean and get a realization of his decisions. The jail he was in is famous for being the worse in Oklahoma. To say it was rough would be an understatement. The lawyer asked him what he thought the consequences were going to be. Young man thought he would get boot camp - a super tough work/rehab program but it avoids jail time. The lawyer gently let him know that because of his choices and some changes in the law, he was looking at 20 years in jail. It was silent in the room for a long, long time as I watched this news affect this young man. He wasn't even 20 years old. In a moment, his life flashed before my eyes - I saw him riding his bike, singing primary songs, making a pinewood derby car, camping with his family. My heart ached and my eyes filled with tears as I watched the emotions play across his face - shock, fear, realization, humility, pleading. Finally, he whispered, "I can't do 20 years in here." All of a sudden I could feel the Spirit in that room. I knew that the Lord knew this young man's name, cherished him, and had not forsaken him. The lawyer & the young man talked for a long time, legal advice was occasionally included as they discussed some spiritual principles. Tears were shed. Hope was extended. Healing was begun.

Few of us will have those types of experiences but all of us can be healers to someone else. All of us can prayerfully reach out to others. Someone shared an epiphany with me a few years ago that has truly helped me - service is never convenient. That realization was like the key to wonderful world of blessings. I know & expect that anything I do for someone else to be inconvenient in some way. But rather than letting it stop me, I look forward to the challenge. Bring it on! And with that attitude, I love to serve others. With that realization, I serve more frequently.

The challenge today is to be a healer. None of us can do everything, but all of us can do something. Pick one thing-

Let others go first in traffic, in the line, through the door with a smile and a "Merry Christmas."Let smiles, kindness, and soft answers be your gift to others this day.

Visit a care center, hospital, or shut-in. Brighten their day with a card, smile, conversation, carol or treat. Offer to help them address their Christmas cards &/or decorate their home for the holidays.

Call a lonely friend and visit a few minutes. Let them know how much you appreciate them.

Mail your Christmas cards today - letting those important to you how special they are.

Include a specific family member in your prayers today.

The song for today is "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." Tonight we listened to all seven verses as my voice was too choked up to sing. One of my favorite songs.

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...