Monday, December 7, 2009

Cleansing the Temple - Dec. 7



At the beginning of his ministry, Christ cleansed the temple of the moneychangers. His was an example of unspotted cleanliness before God, demonstrating the need of peace and order to feel the spirit of the Lord.

Tonight we read John 2:13-16
13 ¶ And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of amoney sitting:
15 And when he had made a ascourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.

We sang "We Love Thy House, O God" for the song.

For Family Night tonight we talked about cleanliness - how cleanliness creates feelings of peace, order and harmony. We talked about how we feel when our house is tidy and how we want to have that feeling for this Christmas season. When our home is more orderly, I don't feel so pressured and stressed. I can relax.

So for our activity tonight, we cleaned our home. I lit a candle, turned on the Christmas music, broke out a pizza, and we have been giving it a good clean up. Dusting actually happened. Shocking I know! We changed the sheets to the flannel ones and as I type the washer & dryer are humming along. We didn't have time to do the deep cleaning that it could surely use, but most things have found a home and the piles are greatly reduced. The final decorations have been set up and it does feel more peaceful.

We ended the evening with D&C 88:119 & prayer
119 aOrganize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a bhouse, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a houseof glory, a house of order, a house of God;

In the past we have spent this day different ways. Sometimes we talk about cleansing our bodies by keeping them healthy this holiday season - everything from exercise, to diet, to saying no to that extra helping, to fighting off germs. Other times we have talked about Fasting and have dedicated the entire fast to another's need. We have made individual goals to cleanse our spirit of hard feelings or procrastinated goals. A few times we helped clean the church building as a service to others. Whatever we have chosen, I have really appreciated the reminder and the blessing of peace that comes with cleanliness.

Note: Yesterday I forgot to add the story that was included for Trials. I have added it now.

Lastly, I am grateful for a family that pulls together. My sister called tonight and my grandma is in the hospital. She will be fine, some reaction to her insulin. They will monitor her and send her home tomorrow. It could have been so differently. She fell a couple of years ago and spent a hours crawling to the phone in pain. Everyone was understandably shaken up about it, but two of my sisters organized the family. They did the research & contacted everyone to help donate and we have all been paying for a Life Line necklace for a few years. Tonight I am so grateful to have a family that pulls together even financially. The life line saved her life last night. She is in her 80's and I know that the time to say goodbye is coming. I am just so grateful that it wasn't today. She is an amazing woman and I am so thankful that she is ok. So, to my sisters who researched this and keep track of the accounts & paperwork - Thank you! And to all my family who make financial sacrifices to help with this - thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love you guys!

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...