Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christ Centered - Dec. 19

As the holidays get busier and busier, we become involved in so many things... running errands, attending parties & concerts, family traditions, buying gifts, choosing wrapping paper, ribbon and tags. It is so easy to become focused on material things. Take some time today to remember where our lives ought to be centered.

Today I read:
John 6:35
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the abread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never bthirst.

John 10:14
14 I am the good ashepherd, and bknow my csheep, and am known of mine.

John 11:25
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the aresurrection, and the blife: he that cbelieveth in me, though he were ddead, yet shall he elive:

John 8:12
I am the alight of the world: he that followeth me shall not bwalk in cdarkness, but shall have the light of life.


I love this video. I have just watched it 4 times and I could watch it a hundred more. These are all photographs, not paintings. My favorite music has always been the hymns but my very favorite is "Come Thou Fount." It makes my heart ache with emotion. Whenever I sing the line "Here I raise my ebenezer, Hither by thy help I'm come" I feel strength and determination fill my soul. An ebenezer is a monument - it literally means "stone of help" and it a standard raised as a recognition of the Lord's help, goodness, blessings and love.

The song for the day is another favorite - "How Firm a Foundation"
So many memories with this song. I remember singing it with my Dad growing up, he would always point to each word as we sang, even when I could read. It was the first song I could sing in Spanish in the Missionary Training Center & in Chile because it has a really good beat and I could keep up. When I hear the music, I immediately start singing "Que firme ciemento o Santos de Dios..." This song is part of the Nauvoo Pageant so now it reminds me of both missions.

The invitation today is to relax from the commercial chaos. Stay home, turn off the TV, play with your children, listen to Christmas music all day, make hot chocolate, look at the Christmas lights and think of Christ's gifts. Read stories from the December Ensign, New Era or Friend.

Don't you wish I had posted this this morning? :) My day has been full of holiday busy. I am a part of a produce co-op so most of the morning was filled with co-op stuff, finishing off gifts & delivering, Visiting Teaching, and tackling the mammoth job of finding my house in the chaos of the last few weeks. However, tomorrow is the Sabbath and I am grateful for this devotional so that tomorrow might be a bit more Christ centered.

Activity for today:
Make Graham Cracker Mangers - someone shared these with me years ago and we have done them a few times. Very fun, especially for the littles. Use 1 graham cracker & cut into quarters. "Glue" 2 quarters together long wise with chocolate frosting making a V. "Glue" the remaining 2 quarters to the ends of the V, making the legs of the manger. Fill with "hay" (coconut died yellow with food coloring) and you are prepared for Jesus' birth!

My Red Envelope today is a bit different. It is more of like sharing my Red Letter news. First, we received an email yesterday saying that we have been accepted into Nauvoo Pageant for this next year!!!!!!! We will be in the opening cast (red cast) in Nauvoo June 28 - July 10. And to make it even better, my dad, step-mom and step-sister have also made the cast. I will get to serve with my dad on his first official mission. And even better, Ryan will get to serve a mission with his grandparents. How often does that happen?

Of course the first thing I did was call my sisters to tell them the news. During the conversation, my sister Sara realized that I was going to be alone this Christmas and she & my sister Tracy joined ranks to persuade me to accept a plane ticket home. Can you see my smile? I am so excited, grateful and just feel full of joy.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I LOVE that video too! That song is also one of my very, very, very favorites. It is beautiful and always brings tears to my eyes. I wish it was still in our hymn book.

I am so EXCITED for you to come! I don't think we spent a Christmas together since we were kids. By the way, my kids are just as sad that Ryan is not coming as he is that he can't come. :) See you tomorrow!!! xoxo

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...