Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Forgiveness - Dec. 15


It is interesting that this is tonight's devotional. I talked to Tim tonight about the next visitation drop-off (Friday) and while I have known that Ryan was going to be with Tim this Christmas, the emotion of the reality hit me. Since then, the tears are close to the surface.

We read- Jesus came to lift our burdens. Some of the heaviest burdens we carry are those of anger, disappointment, betrayal, resentment, hurt and hatred. In teaching us to forgive, the Lord sets us free.

2 And I will tell you of the awrestle which I had before God, before I received a bremission of my sins.
3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the ajoy of the saints, bsunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul ahungered; and I bkneeled down before my Maker, and I ccried unto him in mighty dprayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a avoice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are bforgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6 And I, Enos, knew that God acould not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: aBecause of thy bfaith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee cwhole.
9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a adesire for the bwelfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did cpour out my whole soul unto God for them.

44 But behold I say unto you, love your aenemies, bless them that curse you, do bgood to them that hate you, and cpray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you;

Few topics can bring on such varied and intense feelings as the topic of forgiveness. I love that Enos calls it "the wrestle". This one is so hard - both the seeking forgiveness and the being forgiving. For most of us, it is a process, one filled with pain, tears and pleading prayer. One filled with some of the most personal, intimate, and sacred experiences with the Savior. Our own personal Gethsemane.

The challenge today is to sincerely pray for those most difficult to love. Pray for those who have hurt you the most. Pray to be both forgiven and forgiving.

The invitation is to be forgiving today with your family &/or extended family. Extend your attitude.


Our Red Envelope tonight was to read "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey" - one of my favorite Christmas books. I purchased it at Barnes and Noble the other day and it came with a cd so tonight we turned it on and Ryan snuggled on my lap on the recliner under a blanket and we listened to the beautiful story of healing.

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...