Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Admission

Ryan makes me laugh. Seriously. I still chuckle over this conversation from yesterday.

Background- Ryan started public school in Oct. of last year. Either the school he attended didn't have orchestra for 4th grade or he was too late to join. I am not sure exactly, but the important tidbit is that he didn't attend. So, when I went to the parent orientation night for his new school the orchestra teacher said that anyone could join and they would catch them up. We had a free violin so I signed him up. Over the last few months he has been less and less enthused with playing. He was near tears before his first concert but admitted that it wasn't that bad and he "kind of" had fun. He never would really tell me what was going on. First, I heard that he didn't have a book. The next payday I got him the book. Next, it was he needed his bow re-strung. We are working on that. A few times he mentioned that he felt behind. Well, he was so we talked about it and he said he would keep at it for a while.

Yesterday, we were driving in the car and Ry says in a very relieved voice, "Well I finally admitted to my orchestra teacher that I don't have clue what she has been saying all these months."

"What?" I said. "What did she say?"

"She just looked at me and said, 'you're kidding me right?' "

He was so matter of fact that I started laughing. It turns out that he has no idea what a G Major cord is or any of the other notes. He had me laughing until I was crying with all his episodes from class with him trying to figure out what he was suppose to do. He said the teacher is always telling him he is on the wrong note. I asked how he has been making it and he said that he sits by the smartest kid he can and copies his fingers.

What kind of a mom am I that I think this is so funny? Sad, I know, but so fun. I will get his violin restrung and dig out his book and find someone to tutor him. I keep giggling every time I remember the conversation. I love being a mom.

4 comments:

shara said...

Cracks me up as well. I think it was very resourceful of Ry to "sit by the smartest guy he could" and try to figure things out. Very resourceful!

I think that this is also a good example of how communication between adults and kids gets muffled and twisted along the way (the teacher, not you).

You are a great mom!

Sara said...

Too funny! The same thing happened to me in 6th grade. Mom made me play the french horn. I could never make heads or tails of the music so I just tried to copy the fingers of the boy next to me. There was only one other french horn player though so when he was absent I had a terrible time.

Ryan is better than me though because I never came clean about it! I still to this day can not read music for the life of me so I hope Ryan figures it out!

Tara said...

How funny... hey, I'm still up for guitar lessons if you are! Just let me know when. I'm open Thursdays-Saturdays! (or before 4 on Tuesday, but I'm not sure how early you get out)

doornumbertwo said...

very endearing! Are you a single mom?

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...