Sunday, January 4, 2009

Small Steps Sunday - Minding My P's


Prayer, Portions & Pounds.

Prayer- This is my anchor goal for the month of January. I love the image of an anchor - if feels solid, grounded. No matter what the waves of life toss at me, if my anchor is my hope in Christ, then my soul is secure. I love this verse:

"Whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God" Ether 12:4

This month I will improve my prayers, both quality & quality. I also know that I need the Lord's help with my other goals. I want to study scriptures & examples of prayer this month.

Portions - I like good food. I don't really like diet food very much. They can tell you it is just as good as the real thing but it is not. Sometimes, not even close. And until the entire world forsakes sugar, chocolate, butter & cream, I will not be able to forsake them completely either. On the other hand, I could feel a family of 6 in Ethiopia (maybe more) on the amount of good food I consume each day. There is a teacher at work who has lost 25 or 30# and the only thing that she has done is eat half of her plate & saves the other half for the next meal. This week one of my Small Step goals is to work on my portions. Use my measuring cups as serving spoons, use smaller plates, use the small tea cups for hot chocolate, use the cute ice cream parfaits instead of monster soup bowls. You get the idea.

Pounds - My friend Meghan shared an idea with me that I am using. My goal is to loose one pound per week. ONE POUND. That is it. And I am not playing catch up if I fall behind. But one pound - that is doable for me. That is saying no to a second helping. That is walking one more lap. That is 10 more sit-ups. That is one less brownie. I can do one pound.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step." ~ Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)

6 comments:

Meghan said...

Good luck with these goals. Something having to do with prayer is always on my Resolutions list.

Alisa said...

I like how you are sorting your goals.
You are doing good things Julie-

shara said...

Love these. Prayer is also part of my goals, or commitments. As are pounds. When do you teach next? I am looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the book club messages? Please let me know!

shara said...

I know you are busy. I saw you so briefly at church tonight. However, I AM selfish. I get a lot out of your posts. Your blog and a few others not only make me smile but life my spirits.

So, Thank you... and blog as soon as you can!!!

jarrleckie said...

All that produce should help those goals along.......

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...