Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Temples of My Life

I follow several blogs but one stands out among the rest - Monserrat of Chocolate on my Cranium. I love her wisdom, her depth of spirit, how much she shares. I love her testimony and example of marriage and motherhood. I check her blog almost daily and always, always come away uplifted.

Today, tears dripped down my cheeks as she shared about temples. You won't be disappointed. Take a few minutes and go watch it. Make sure to watch all of the clips - they are all so good.


As a youth, I got to participate in 3 Dance Festivals. Two occasions I danced in the Ukrainian dance. One of the steps was so hard for me to learn - it took me weeks, maybe even months, to learn the step. It is the only step that I can still do 25 years later. I cried as I saw their costumes - exactly like mine was so many years ago. I felt such a kinship and love for those wonderful youth in the video. When I first danced the Ukrainian dance, the cold war was still going strong. To think of the miracles that have happened in my lifetime, truly humbles me.

I love the simpleness of her words about the temple, and especially the words of others in the clip "Why Mormons Build Temples." I have so many layers of testimony and experience with the temples. I went to the temple last weekend and the blessings of that morning keep rippling out. I cherish the temple. I wish I was a powerful and articulate writer who could paint the emotions, the spirit, the joy, the promises, the revelation, the peace of the temple. I wish I could make you feel how thin, how transparent, the veil between mortality and immortality are in the temples. Instead, I leave with you my testimony of temples. I cherish the temple. They are the House of the Lord, built to His holiness.

For my grandchildren, these are the temples of my life:

Idaho Falls Temple: My first temple experience. My family was sealed together in this temple. I remember it still. I remember us all kneeling together around the alter, my mom holding my baby sister Cindy. I remember the feeling of love and eternity. I was 6 years old.

(I also attended this temple while at Ricks College for two years.) 

Seattle Temple: I remember the surprise, excitement and pure joy when this temple was announced. I remember saving money to help build it and all of the service opportunities for the open house. I remember going through the open house and the long lines waiting for hours in the rain to tour the temple. All of my youth years were at this temple. Some of my earliest lessons in symbolism were learned here. One last thing - there are many life size statures on the grounds of this temple that I love. So beautiful. For years I said I would be married in this temple - maybe one day. 

Portland, Oregon Temple: I was so surprised when they announced this temple and while thrilled, I felt a twinge of guilt. We had a temple close by (it was only 5 hours to Seattle) when so many of the world did not. I loved the Seattle temple and was not ready to move on. I soon learned that love for the temples increases, it doesn't transfer. This temple is amazingly beautiful. The grounds, the building, the doors, the arboretum, the art work, the rooms inside - one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. A couple of tender memories with this temple - just before the open house, our ward had a display of all of the things members had made to donate to the temple. It was so sacred. There were hand crocheted alter cloths, art work, blankets for children, shawls, tissue & scripture covers, linens, white clothing for all, especially children. All of it done by hand. It touched my heart deeply to see so much love expressed for the Lord and for each other.

This temple is where I remember my mom. She was with me the first time I went through as an adult. She was there for my wedding. I remember helping her (she was in a wheel chair) at my sisters wedding. I have felt her there so many times.

This is also the temple where all of my family have been married. So many memories of weddings at this temple. Lastly, this is the temple where I took Ryan for his 'first' temple trip. (another post sometime)
Salt Lake City temple: My parents took me to this temple the day before I entered the Missionary Training Center on my mission to Santiago, Chile. While I have only been inside a couple of times, I have walked these grounds countless times. This temple is steeped in symbols, sacrifice and devotion and for that alone, I love this temple. 


Provo Temple: I attended this temple weekly for 8 weeks while in the missionary training center. A HUGE part of my love of the temple was developed during this time. I learned to feel so comfortable in the temple and my eyes were opened, just a bit, to the mysteries of God. I learned some questions that have taken years of study to find answers. How grateful I am for that journey. 

Santiago, Chile Temple: I attended this temple twice. Sweet, rich experience to hear the temple sessions in Spanish. The last time I went through, I was shocked at how many members from all of my areas came to go through with me before I left for home. I cried A LOT. So many emotions. The sisters called me "La Llorona" - the crier. Said with much love and smiles. :)


Ogden, Utah Temple: I attended this temple while I went to Weber State University. Many times Tim and I would attend together, both while we were dating and after we were married. Many decisions were taken to the Lord in the temple. This was the temple were I participated in a Temple Worship day - we were there from 6 am - 2 pm and in that time participated in every ordinance of the temple. It was amazing. I want to do it again sometime. 

Dallas, TX temple: This was our temple for the two years we lived in Oklahoma while Tim attended Law School. Luckily, we had friends living in the Dallas area as it was a three hour drive. We would stay the weekend with them, they would watch Ryan for us, and we attended the temple together. While only 3 1/2 hours away, attending this temple became a large test of our faith. Our car broke down every. time. we. went. And I mean serious break downs. Stressful, but we have really good memories of those times. We always had the money to cover the repairs, just barely (like cents left over. )


Oklahoma City temple: I was again surprised to learn of a temple being built so close to us - it felt like the gospel was spreading by leaps and bounds. This temple became special in that we were close enough to watch it being built. Every other Sunday we would drive out to the construction site and sit for a few minutes searching to make out the layout, the next steps and marveling at the miracle springing up before our eyes. I love the cobblestone bricks out front and the coziness of it. We helped with the open house as ushers - I loved how people would catch their breath at the beauty of the celestial room. 
We left for a family reunion the day before the dedication and then moved to Oregon. We helped build this temple but did not attend a session for over three years. This temple played largely in our answers to return to Oklahoma and it was a sweet experience to attend for the first time. This place was my safe haven during the divorce months. I felt the Lord so close at that time and have heard his voice. 

 Ryan and I had the privilege of cleaning out the flower beds and landscaping the grounds one spring. Ryan wasn't too sure of this 'privilege' but after was so glad that we did it. I had a hard time getting him to go when it was time. 

This is also the temple that Ryan first entered. It was an incredibly sweet experience for my dad to baptize me and then Ryan for some of our ancestors. 

Nauvoo, Illinois temple: I get teary-eyed just seeing this temple and remembering. I remember walking on the ground where the temple now stands at a 10 yr. old when there was nothing but grass and a faint impression of the foundation stones. I remember seeing a model under glass of it and looking at the remaining sunstones. Ryan and I drove into Nauvoo at about 6:00 in the evening July 2009 and the summer sun was lighting the temple as you see in this picture.  As we drove up the hill, we turned the corner and there it was. It took my breath away. It still does. It was magnificent. Gleaming. Amazing. I cried. I couldn't believe I was seeing it. So much healing has taken place in this sacred spot over the last two years. So much strength given. 

As part of the Nauvoo pageant, we build the temple on stage and at the end, spotlights light the temple in the background. Our first year in pageant, I got to be one of the sisters who keeps the temple banners from touching the ground as the temple is raised. I loved the emotions and spirit I felt as I sang with all of my heart Praise to the Man while the temple banners raised from my outstretched hands. After it was built, Ryan would find me in the crowd and we would spend a few minutes together gazing at the temple, tears silently drifting down our cheeks. Then, we would pack our bags and with one last look at the temple, leave for Utah. I loved that Ryan and the girls in our family would always step out from the wagon train and have one last look at the temple - no one ever told them to do it. Every night, when the temple was about to be lit, all of the kids would stop what they were doing backstage to look at the temple. 

Ry and I walked the grounds that first year, looking at all of the carvings in the rock and I was able to attend a session with the adults. 

Last year (2010) was even better. This time Ryan was old enough to help his grandpa (my dad) and the men built the framework of the temple. I was in the RS sewing circles sewing shirts for the workmen. This year, I was a runner, actually carrying a temple banner and hooking it into the framework to be lifted up. I watched my dad and step-mom walk through the temple on stage. Again, Ryan found me each night and put his arm around me as we gazed at the temple. This year, Ryan was 12 and my dad baptized Ryan and my step-sister Heather. This year, I attended a temple session with my dad, step-mom and sister. This year I saw artifacts preserved at the temple I had never seen before. I learned about the miraculous hand of God in rebuilding the temple. 

I wish the pictures could do it justice, but they don't. You have to experience Nauvoo. 


There they all are. The temples of my life so far. I cherish each of them. They are the House of the Lord. His spirit dwells within their walls. The work there is sacred, the blessings eternal. The mysterious of God are unfolded - numberless layers of understanding. The eternal mingles with the temporal in the house of the Lord. Go and hear his voice. 

1 comment:

Judi said...

Beautiful post Julie. I love Cocoa's blog too. I visit it everyday. She inspires me to be better. I loved reading about your experiences at each of the temples you've visited. I look forward to the new Indiana temple!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...