Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Family Home Evening

Family Home Evening has been a hard thing for our family. It has been difficult to make it work for us for many reasons. For a few months, I have been thinking and praying about it. How to make it work for our unique family dynamic? I wanted FHE to be something we looked forward to, something different than the rest of the days of the week. I hit upon an idea and implemented it last night to success.
FHE is now our pizza night! I picked up pizza last night and after dinner we each shared a short lesson. Ryan prepared some thoughts from the Duty to God booklet on scripture study and I prepared some thoughts about recognizing the Spirit from Preach My Gospel. Ryan ended the evening with a long and thoughtful prayer (I think he asked 6 times that we wouldn't loose power in the coming storm - our week without power a few years ago really made an impact on him.) We cuddled up on my bed for the lessons and guess what? It worked! It was fun, short, thoughtful, different and really worked for our family.
More than anything, I am grateful for promptings from the Spirit to work on this and even more grateful for the inspiration that came. Make family time a priority and make it work for your family - whatever that looks like.

1 comment:

Judi said...

Great idea Julie! I still wonder sometimes if how we do FHE is working. I feel like I teach all day. We have devotional every morning. By Monday p.m. I am tired. We have had the kids do the lessons and that seems to work best for us right now. I think I am just a little burned out.

Good for you for doing it!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...