Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Single Awareness Day!

So I decided that I needed to embrace this holiday which would make it a different holiday than the past where we mostly did the typical card, dinner, etc. thing.

First, I have spent some time looking for cute LOVE decorations. I haven't purchased many, but I am making plans to make my home more loving. It has been tons of funs looking & planning.

Second, I sent out Single Awareness Day cards to my single family & friends. Those included a challenge that I will let you know about in some follow-up posts.

Third, I studied tons of scriptures about Love this week. While I am single and should be depressed today, I have been really excited. Today isn't about married love - it is about LOVE.

I have so many wonderfully loving people in my life. My sister sent me a gorgeous vase of flowers yesterday that smell amazing. My former mother in law sent Ryan & me a Valentine's day card & letter. I spent hours last night eating my passion food of chocolate covered strawberries & discovered that I also have a passion for Meghan's carmel sauce. I thought that maybe if I ate enough of my passion foods I would make myself sick and they wouldn't be my passion foods anymore. It didn't work. I loved them just as much at 11:00 as I did at 6:00. I looked around the table at the 5 wonderful ladies there and felt so much love. We even called Meghan because we had been thinking about her & missed her. We laughed and laughed. We created a wonderful memory that I will giggle about for years. Thank you all & especially Alisa for inviting us all over.

I have some definate plans for today but I will post about them later because life requires flexibility.

Lastly- this is part of a message that I posted on a board I visit:

I have always been taught that wickedness never was happiness. I told my bishop a couple of months ago I was having a hard time with that because it sure was looking happy for someone who wasn't living the gospel at all. A week or so later these scriptures were pointed out in GD.

"Ye have said, It is vain to serve God and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?
And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of Hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son (daughter) that serveth him.
Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that
serveth God and him that serveth him not."
Malachi 3:14-18

I don't know why it isn't fair. I don't know why people who trample the commandments under their feet appeared to be so blessed. But for me, since I read these verses (and I reread them often) it hasn't mattered so much. I feel such a calm strength to think that maybe He is writing these things in the book of remembrance and that hopefully, he can say to me, "You are mine."

I am going to make a Valentine's decoration that says "And they shall Be Mine, saith the Lord of Hosts"

So- Have a Happy Valentine's Day, a Wonderful Single Awareness Day, and an Incredible LOVE day!

4 comments:

Meghan said...

I can't wait to hear all the follow up to today's plans. As always I love your thoughts and positive perspective. I loved talking to you guys last night. Thanks for calling, it meant a ton. And tell Ryan I am sorry about the joke, but if he comes and visits I can get him a ride in that and in some cars that are waaay cooler and faster.

Judi said...

I was thinking about you today Julie. I'm glad you posted on your blog.

I was at a funeral today. I don't know if you remember that family in my branch who have adopted 26 children and fostered over 300 I think they said - anyway the father died, just 58. It was a different way to celebrate Valentine's but indeed it was a celebration of a man who indeed showed great love for many of God's children.

I love that scripture you shared.

Sending thoughts your way . . .

Sandi said...

Happy Valentines Day!

At school, I taught my kids to sing
"Make new friends and keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." Then we sang it in a round.
You have a great circle of friends.

Alisa said...

i am glad that we got to celebrate together- I have always felt that valentines day was for LOVE of all- not just couples. It was fun to just sit, eat, chat, and laugh!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...