Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Aaaarrgghh to Aaaahhhh

Each month for the next couple of months I have a "big" purchase to make. This month it is a new vacuum. My current one is the cheapest Walmart sells and literally has camo duct tape holding parts of it together. It also has to be propped against a wall as the handle thingymabob is broken. I can handle these minor defects but since it has ceased to do its job and instead pushes the dirt around & we now crunch when we walk on the carpet, I decided that a new one was in my future. Last night, money in hand, I headed to Walmart to find a vacuum worthy of the name. I gazed longingly at the Dyson but since we would have to starve for 6 months to afford it, I continued down the aisle to the more reasonable priced models, picked one out & headed home with my purchase with visions of walking bare foot on soft, clean carpet before the evening was out. Ryan put it together (he informed me that it wasn't that I couldn't put it together, but there were tools involved and it was a great "guy project".) When I went to wrap the cord up, we discovered that part of it was completely broken. Aaaarrrgghh.

So, I packed up the box & miles of misc. packing material & the now assembled vacuum (I was not about to tear it apart & puzzle-piece it back in the box) & I headed to WallyWorld to exchange it. They choose to refund my money so I wouldn't have to stand in line again and I went to find my vacuum. They are sold out. Of course they are. There were 3 last night. Aaaarrrgghh.

Not pleased with my options, I headed to Sam's Club to check out what they have to offer. They too try to tempt me with an even better Dyson. I evaluate my 3 remaining options. All look good. I see a chair at the end of the aisle and decide to sit for a moment and consider the vacuums before me. I haven't sat down in over 12 hours. As I sit down I realize it is a massage chair demo. How can I resist? I hit the demo button. Oh. my. heavens. Aaaahhhhh. I haven't had real massages that good. I sat there for over 20 mins. hitting the demo button over and over. Finally, I got up & checked out the price. It was the same as the vacuum. Oh, the dilema. I sat back down in the chair to think. Aaaaagggghhh.

The voices of reason finally won and I left Sam's Club without a massage chair or the vacuum. I must tell you that had the massage gone all the way up my neck I would not be writing this but instead sitting very relaxed not caring if I very walked on carpet again. Instead, I was 15 mins. late picking up Ryan from scouts. It was worth it.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That is too funny Julie! Maybe they will leave the chair on display for a while and you can stop by for a little TLC every now and then!

Good luck with the vacuum. They are certainly tough to live without!

Sandi said...

We have one of those in the teacher's lounge at Hazelwood. (courtesy of the PTSA) It feels so-o-o-o good after the three schools/day marathon & a full day of teaching.
Yesterday, I packed up some of my teaching supplies to store at the school (no more room at home now) and took Heather with me. We both spent a few minutes in THE CHAIR.

Anonymous said...

I AM GLAD YOU GOT A BIT OF PAMPERING!I can relate to the vacuum dilema. Let me know what you find!

Alisa said...

Oh the chair- This made me laugh ... Did you want to go get some chocolates to eat while you were having the massage?

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...