Sunday, March 14, 2010

π - 3.14

Happy pi day everyone!

In the deep dark attic of my memory, I remembered that pi = 3.14... and that was about it. I went to the fountain of all knowledge and google has educated me which education I now pass on to you. That's me. I am all about the sharing of information. Did you know that the earliest known use of pi is 1900BC! They used pi to design and build the pyramids in Egypt. My main man Archimedes was the first to really study it out and write it down for the rest of us. Pi has to do with circles and diameters and ratios and radius' and area. I could get more detailed but new knowledge doesn't always translate to explicable knowledge and I wouldn't want your eyes to glaze over.

To celebrate pi day, we had Shepherd's pie and Apple pie. Actually we had it last night with the Sister Missionaries as Ryan is leaving for the week today and I didn't want tons of leftovers. I haven't made either in a long time. Ryan claimed he didn't like Shepherd's pie and didn't remember me ever making. After grudgingly trying a few bites, his memory returned and he ate a second bowl.

I was impressed with my scatterbrained self. I couldn't find the recipes for either dish and made them both from memory. And they were good! Everyone had seconds. Or maybe they were just hungry.

Next year I want to add a fun movie to our mathematical celebration. My list (and I haven't checked these for appropriate content yet) - IQ, and episode of Numbers, Bill Nye The Science Guy, and Good Will Hunting (this one I know would need to be a clean flicks version - if such a thing exists.) Maybe I can come up with some fun circle crafts or build some pyramids...

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...