Monday, January 25, 2010

Everyday Miracles in the Hood

Today I walked through the gym after loading kids into cars at the end of the day and saw a sight that made my eyes mist up and my heart just about burst from my chest. A fourth grader was practicing a lay-up with the 4th grade basketball team. This particular 4th grader, J, was my student last year. He is the poster child for a hurt and damaged child. And when the emotions of his life got to be too much, he would explode. We experienced screaming meltdowns, shredded homework, flying pencils and thrown desks last year. I became expert in noticing the signs and talking him down off the cliff of his emotions. I don't think I can really explain the spot the J has in my heart. I love him. And he knows I do. I would take him home with me in an instant if I could. This year started off pretty rough for him. J & his teacher experienced a few personality conflicts and I was called on to calm him down a few times. Eventually, he was moved into another classroom and things have been much better although there is still a long way to go. But seeing this hurt little kiddo find the confidence was a miracle. I walked up to him after his lay up and hugged him. I love that he hugged me back. I asked when his next game is so I can come watch. Thursday at 5. If I have to poke nails through my shoes to get home in the ice storm that is coming on Thurs. I will be there. 

I had another little student last year who was practicing with the team. Another J but this one sooooo quiet. Whatever he did say was so quiet you could hardly hear him. It came up with him mom last year that he wanted to read in Spanish but they didn't have any books. I fixed that. Every week or two he comes and finds me and borrows another book from my personal Spanish library. The other day I took him to the Library and showed him where he can check out other books in Spanish. 

I had a little Vietnamese tomboy in my class last year. She loved being tough. She stops by my class once or twice a week and brings me letters and notes that she has written in centers. She always wants a hug. Last week she brought me a late Christmas present - a snow globe she had made. I am going to have a folk art shelf in my house dedicated to all the wonderful kid gifts I have been given. 

Last week, we were discussing needs vs. wants and the subject of Haiti came up. We talked about it and then more importantly, I asked, "what can you do about it?" I wanted them to know they have the power to change the world, so I offered them a challenge. I said I would pay a nickel for every book they read in one week. So my readers have taken off. But they wanted to help too. I told them they needed to talk to their parents and I sent home a note asking them to help their child read. Well, this week has been amazing. They have brought in their change and given up their popcorn money. We have almost $100! And they know that they did it. I can hardly wait until we count it all and give it to the Red Cross. 

Why do I share all of this? So that I remember. So that I remember that I made a difference. So that I remember the difference they made in me. So I remember the power of one. So I remember the power of love.


1 comment:

Christie said...

can you come and be my child's teacher?

Thank you touching my life with each of your posts, if you only knew.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...