Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

It's fresh and clean. Full of optimism and goals, dreams and this year I will's. Already my year is filling up with good things.

Last summer I won a 2 night cruise to the Bahamas and a 5 night vacation to Florida. I thought for sure it was a scam. Things like this don't happen to me. But it appears to be legit and we will be visiting the Sunshine state in late May. I have mixed feelings about this trip. I have been to Florida and no offense to anyone who lives there, but there were definite times that I felt Satan has his summer home there. Partying has never been my thing. And I am taking a 12 yr. old boy to the state that doesn't believe in clothes. What am I thinking? But I like the adventure of a new place and new experience. I love the idea of getting a stamp in my passport. I love the idea of a wave runner in the ocean, falling asleep on the beach basking in the warm sun, snorkeling in the Bahamas, touring the everglades and swimming with the dolphins. I basically see trips like these as my compensation package for being single and I love going because I can.

In June, we will attend the Hachtel family reunion at my Uncle's beautiful farm in Arkansas. More than any other place I have ever been to, it felt like home when we went last Thanksgiving. I am very excited to breath country air, chase baby goats and take long walks with the horses. I plan on spending some hours hiking in the mountains as well.

In July, Ryan and I are returning to Nauvoo Pageant, this time with my Dad, Step-Mom and Step-Sister. Just today I was able to find lodgings that will be perfect for us and get a reservation. Small miracle. We will be performing July 6 - 10 and would love to have all of you join us there. It is an amazing experience. Everyone should experience Nauvoo at least once in their lives.

I made a list of books I want to read this year. I present the following:

Alas Babylon
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Mama's Bank Account
Sarah's Quilt
The Hobbit
Amos Fortune
The Screwtape Letters
Little Women
Jack: A Life of CS Lewis
Under the Greenwood Tree
The Book Thief
12 Again


Last year I posted that I had chosen the word "Diligence" to be my word for 2009. It felt like it was the right word for me. I love the word. But soon after it became apparent that the Lord had a different word to be my word.  It came up over and over again. It came up repeatedly in conversations, I read it, pondered it and it became my word for 2009 - Balance. Balance is a hard word for someone as passionately extreme as me. I don't like to do things in half measures. I throw my whole heart and soul into them. I struggled with balancing being a mother and a working teacher. I struggled with being single while believing in marriage with my whole heart. I struggled with the world using up all of my time that I wanted to use for spiritual matters. And balance kept coming back. And just last week, in an unrelated conversation, it all came together for me why. Balance was my word for 2009.

I haven't completely figured out my word for 2010 but it has been a pleasure to consider the options. Kind of like picking out the best See's Truffle. You know you will love them all, but which is the best for this moment...

Lastly, I spent the last moments of 2009 with my friend Alisa's family. The wii was set up with Beattle Rock Band and for the first time in years, I could sing. I wasn't embarrassed or self-conscious. I felt light enough to sing and it felt good. Alisa's mom is such a wonderful friend and cheerleader. She is the kind of person that makes you smile just thinking about her. She asked me how this New Year's Eve was different than last. Last year was filled with sorrow and grief. This year is filled with hope and contentment. So how am I doing? I am doing exceptionally well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I never got to thank you for the treats! THANK YOU! I have a lot of your books listed if you need to borrow any! It sounds like you will have an adventerous year! I look forward to hearing about it!
We love you!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...