Sunday, January 31, 2010

Alas, Babylon

This book is on my list to read in 2010. I started it yesterday and finished it this morning. I remember my mom reading this book growing up and saying that it was a good book. I found myself thinking of her often as I read it and feeling closer to her. I wish I could call her up and discuss it.

For those of you who haven't read it, Alas Babylon was written in 1959 and is considered a classic. It is about a group of US citizens and how they survive after nuclear war with Russia. I can only imagine my feelings had I read it during the Cold War. It was a really interesting read looking at the relationship dynamics, the skills each offered and the resources the group used. Each member of the group provided and shared the resources they had but more importantly the knowledge they had. I especially noticed how the poorest family at the beginning, provided the most useful skills of farming, hunting, fishing, and doing without. Without them, the group most likely would not have made it. While I did make a mental list of things it would be good to have on hand in emergencies, it really made me think of skills that I would like to have one day. I also loved how people falling in the cracks before The Day, older retirees and spinsters, truly came into their own and had much to offer the new community.

I was thinking back to the crisis in my life - our home burning down when I was 16, the ice storm two years ago, unemployment. Each of the crisis have effected my immediate family while life continued for those around us.  In a way, I think that has made it harder. For the citizens in Alas, Babylon, the crisis affected the entire community and they all had to pull together. I know families in dire situations that are islands unto themselves as their crisis does not effect others. It has made me think how important it is for us to choose to rally around each other, to help each other, each offering our resources and skills. Anyway, it just made me think...

I enjoyed the book. Definitely one I would like to discuss with someone else.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I'll have to borrow it from the library, I've been looking for a good read! I understand the desire to discuss a book with your mom... there are so many good books that my mom told me to read or I remember her reading when I was young that as I read them now I wish I could pick up the phone and talk to her about them. I guess it will have to wait.

Meghan said...

This is on my list of books to read too. I will have to get on it and give you a call.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...