Friday, June 5, 2009

Return to Reality

I love to read. I grew up without a tv most of the time and remember reading everywhere - in the car, in the bathroom, camping, at the dinner table, while cooking - it was only burned a little, until the wee hours of the morning by the light of the lamp outside (which is why I have contacts). Everyone in my family reads. We would get into trouble because we would sneak off to our rooms to read instead of doing our chores around the house. When my brother came to visit me right after his divorce, he brought a bag full of books and spent the entire week reading. Ryan was so impressed that he read Eragon in two days. I think it was theraputic for him.

Here's my problem - when I read nothing. else. gets. done. And I mean nothing. If you want to know what a mom does all day, come to my house right now and see what didn't get done in the last 24 hours because I was reading. Two friends recommended the book "These is My Words" and I have been drawn into the Arizona Territories & life in the 1880's. I finally finished at 1:30a.m. last night. I read all day, I even read a chapter in the parking lot of Walmart & I seriously considered reading while I was pumping gas. I did get Ryan to his camp & baseball practice. I did make dinner (scrambled eggs because they are fast & I could get back to my book.) I haven't read for myself like that in over a year. It felt soooooo good.

When I woke up this morning I took a look around. I have a lot of work ahead of me. It is not so bad, I'll have Sarah Prine to keep me company.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Thats a good one, huh? It made me cry, and laugh. I love having a good book to read. Any good ones you can recommend me?

Emmy said...

I love that book! I don't get anything done when I'm reading either!

Emmy said...

Oh, yeah! There's a sequal to These Is My Words. I believe it is called Sarah's Quilt. I haven't read it though, my sister-in-law said it was good.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...