Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Last night Ryan and I went to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir & Temple Square Orchestra in concert in Norman, OK. I have grown up listening to them at every General Conference. I have heard them once or twice in firesides on Temple Square. I have listened to them on tv broadcast or shows. Last night was so different. They were wonderful. Amazing. I smiled. I laughed. I cried at my favorite songs. I closed my eyes and let the music wash over me. I leaned forward in my seat to watch a little girl down on the floor in the corner twirling, swaying, and dancing to the music. She danced almost the whole night. I clapped until my hands were stinging. Such a good night. I am so glad that we went.

Some of the highlights for me-
"Danny Boy" - I will always think of Pres. Hinkley when I hear this song. I remember when the choir sang his favorite song for his birthday a few years ago.
"Ah, el novio no quere dinero!" A traditional wedding song from Spain. You could "see" the dancing getting faster and faster.
"Betelehemu" - a traditional song from Nigeria - so much fun - the rhythem, the clapping, the drums.
"Come to My Garden" - This song is from "The Secret Garden" (love that book) and was when I first saw the little girl dancing. It was absolutely perfect.
"Come, Come Ye Saints" & "Battle Hymn of the Republic" & "Amazing Grace" & "Rock-a-My Soul in the Bosom of Abraham" were all amazing.
The Organ solo - oh I wished that my friends the Westons could have heard it. Ben Weston plays the organ (he is actually mastering in it). The Solo was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" - it truly was amazing. A memory I don't want to forget with this song- my friend Alisa's grandmother passed away a year or so and she asked Kim, Allyson, and myself to help her dress her for the funeral. When we were finished, we sang this song together, one of her grandma's favorite songs. The love I feel for these friends of mine and the memory we made together that day...

My favorite hymn is "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" Tears poured down my cheeks as I hummed along with the choir. I don't know why, but that song reaches in and squeezes my heart like no other.

And last - for an encore, the Choir sang "God be with you 'til we meet again" - the final song sung at my mom's funeral. Everytime I hear that song, I can feel her saying the words directly to me.

I am a bit envious of the Norman wards today. Can you imagine the hymns today in church with some of the choir members present? I think I would want to cancel the regular meeting and just sing.

It was such a beautiful night and I am so glad that I went. It was worth every penny.

2 comments:

Judi said...

So glad you could go. I love hearing the choir too. I have fond memories of my mom listening to Music and the Spoken Word over the radio every Sunday morning.

Thanks for thinking of us - Ben would have loved to hear the organ -who was the organist at this event?

Safe travels to see your family.

:)

Sandi said...

Check out the current issue of the Church News. There is a picture of a little girl dancing at the Oklahoma concert for the MTC. :) It looks like she attracted a lot of attention.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...