Sunday, March 8, 2009

Priceless

First, a huge thank you to all of you for your comments, both published and private. I really appreciate your support as I write bits of my story.

A few weeks ago a piece of siding fell off the front of my house in a wind storm. I told my landlord & left it lying there because, frankly, I can't keep up with the inside of my house, let alone the outside. A few days ago I came home and the siding was back up. I went to thank my Landlord and he said, "It wasn't me. We are going to come to your house this weekend & tear all your siding off and put it back up the right way. I bet it was your neighbor. He is good like that." In our conversation, it became apparent that my neighbor has also been putting away my trash cans for me for months and has occasionally mowed my yard.

Wow. I hope that it can be said of my one day, "Oh, Julie, she's good like that." I feel silly, but I get teary-eyed everytime I see my trash cans up by the house now.

Then, one of my friends called that received a Single Awareness Day card with a challenge called and reported that they had spent part of the money to pay for the person behind them in the drive thru. We started talking about how good we both felt doing things for other people and how it doesn't have to cost money. Taking in my trash cans doesn't cost a thing and yet it is a priceless gift. The traffic getting to school in the mornings is pretty bad where I work. My lane always has the right-of-way and I watch as car after car go by without letting in the other lane. It doesn't cost anything to let another car in & start their day off with some kindness.

I love service. I love that sweet feeling when a bunch of us get together & help each other. I love how much can get done in a few minutes when we work together. I love how the ripples of service go on forever.

It all reminds me of that commerical-
Goom, fear, & despair - free
Bad Economy - trillions of dollars
Random Acts of Kindness - Priceless

No comments:

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...