Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ryan's Priesthood Ordination

On Sunday, Oct. 18, Ryan was ordained a Deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood. It was a big day that he had been looking forward to for some time. My dad flew out from Seattle to be a part of the day. Here my two favorite men in the world are getting ready for church discussing the sports cars picture above Ryan's bed.

The man of the hour in his new suit & missionary haircut.

He wanted his picture taken in front of our picture of Lehi's Dream.

This is my personal favorite picture. Grandpa & Grandson looking at each other in front of the Oklahoma City Temple.

It was a really good day. Ryan's dad, Tim and his wife Nancy came. Ryan was so intent on watching the deacons pass the sacrament and asked if we could sit on the second row. That is one of his new duties and he wanted to watch closely so that he would get it right the next week when it was his turn. I spoke with the sister missionaries and & Jane Caldwell on missionary work. Ryan decided that he wanted to be in the last primary program so my dad got to see part of the program in the practice they had during the Sunday School hour.

It was touching to me to see how many men Ryan had asked to be a part of his ordination. I am so grateful to these men who have circled around my son, loved him, accepted him, been an example to him, mentored him. I am grateful to a loving Heavenly Father who blesses us abundantly, especially in times of need. The ordination was simple, powerful, full of counsel and promise. Afterward, my dad gave Ryan a chart that shows the priesthood being handed down from Jesus Christ to Ryan Mills.

He also gave him a Book of Mormon that he had purchased and read cover to cover, marking scriptures with Ryan in mind. He is doing that for each grandchild when they turn 12. What a treasure.

One of my favorite memories of the day was just as we were leaving for church. Normally, Ryan takes some paper and pencils to draw with during the meeting. I asked him if he had his stuff and he said, "Nay, I think I am too grown up for that."

Where has the time gone?

6 comments:

jarrleckie said...

He looks so grown up all of the sudden. He didn't look that grown 4 months ago. Glad it was a special day!

Sara said...

Awww! This post made me cry! He is so grown up. I so wish I could have been there. Ryan is a GREAT young man and he has the BEST mom in the world!

Judi said...

Thanks for sharing about you and Ryan's special day. I am so glad your dad could be there. What a good man your father is Julie! How precious that Book of Mormon will be to Ryan throughout his life.

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting and what a treasure the Book of Mormon will be. I am glad to know your family!

Alex Bales said...

What a proud day :) God bless.

Alisa said...

I love what your Dad did, what a treasure. I am glad that it was a good day for your family. I am happy for you that your Dad was able to come out.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...