Sunday, June 17, 2012

Today I did something I haven't done since 1989...

I sang tenor in a choir performance.

It was wonderful. I took choir all 4 yrs of high school and sang tenor the entire time. I loved it. One year we even toured, spending a week or 10 days in Northern Washington and Canada. (We went to the World Expo in Vancouver, British Columbia & I saw Lady Diana & Prince Charles!)

Interestingly enough, I do not read music  and I need FOREVER to learn my part. Once I learn it, I am good but it takes me 10 times as long to learn parts as other people. (I really wish I was exaggerating but I'm not.) I've missed singing and over the last few months I've had a few opportunities to hear amazing choirs. I decided I really wanted to sing again and prayed for an opportunity. And I prayed that it would be the right opportunity for me.

I went to the first rehearsal 5 weeks ago. I was more than a bit worried when I was the only tenor. Actually, a lot worried. I prayed and slowly more tenors showed up. We were always few in number (2-4) but one tenor had a voice that could anchor us and he showed up every week. I am very grateful for his encouragement, showing me a piano app on my phone and then writing in notes on my music for me to practice. I'm grateful for another strong tenor who showed up today and sang beautifully. I am grateful to the other sister who sang tenor so I wasn't the only girl. I am grateful that the tenors had the melody for one song. I am grateful for dear friends who love music and who inspire me.

I appreciated the experience. I am not good enough to say I loved it - it is a lot of work for me to sing but I loved the opportunity and am extremely grateful for the experience. I love what music can do and I love that with the Lord's blessings, weak things can become stronger on their way to strong. And I loved, loved, loved singing my testimony - Abide with Me, How Gentle God's Commands and America the Beautiful.

I love answered prayers.


2 comments:

Sara said...

Good job Julie! I am so poud of you. I have a tough time singing too. I wish I was better but I don't have your courage to work on it!

Tara said...

The Choir sounded wonderful! I did see you up there- good job! oh, and I like your post about things you are taking with you/not taking on your move. I think I'll use it to help me purge the excess. I have felt like we keep waaaay too much, and it drives me crazy!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...