Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Sunburned Chronicles

Scout Camp, the  boat, and staining a fence have all left Ryan redder than the day before. The freckles are out in full force this year.

Ryan and I held our moving sale this past weekend. It was hhhhhhhot! Nothing like drinking gallons and sweating your weight and a lovely sunburn. A HUGE thank you to all who helped us - we sold most of it and made some much needed gas money for the move. We both like a clutter free home and really are appreciating the open space. 

The moving sales was a huge blessing and was very interesting. Here are some highlights - 
1. Ryan listed my bike for $50.00 (women's road bike). A guy looked at it and talked Ryan into $40 but he asked if we would take a check. I said no. Then he asked if we would take a check if he paid the full $50. Again, I said no. After he left, a few other people looked at it and when they left, I told Ryan that it was priced too low and he should list it for $75.00. About an hour later, first guy shows up again and has $40.00 cash. Ok. No worries - bike is gone and I have $40.00. Then a couple of hours later first guy shows up again this time with a men's road bike. It is a bit used but looks good. He brings it to me and says that the bike he bought from us is a huge blessing for them and now they have this bike extra. He noticed the new price marked on the bike and felt bad, so he wanted to give us this bike to sell to raise some more money. Who does that??? I was so surprised! We thanked him and listed it for $40.00 and it sold an hour later. 

2. Ryan had a scooter that he bought from a friend. It was a non-motorized scooter that his friend and him converted into a motorized scooter using a lawn mower or weed wacker engine and duct tape (literally). Not super pretty but very resourceful. It had a top speed of 35 mph (supposedly). Ryan listed it for $25.00 and wrote on the sign that it needed an new throttle, etc. Lots of guys were interested and checked it out, especially cowboy hat guy. He came back a couple of times looking at it. Then he decided to buy it and paid the full $25.00. As he and Ryan were walking it to his car, he told Ryan that Ry should have asked $40.00 for it - that he could have gotten it. Ryan thanked him and said something like "well, now I know" and then left to get us lunch. While he was gone, Cowboy Hat guy comes back and gave me another $10.because he felt bad. I was stunned and thanked him and Ry was super excited when he came back with lunch. THEN, about an hour later, Cowboy Hat comes back again. He told me Ryan could have gotten $40 but this was all he had and then he gave me 3 ones and another dollar in change for a total of $39.00 WOW! So cool. 

3. Lots of things in life will magnify your character, even a yard sale. We saw it all - one guy intentionally hide a $1.00 brand new (still in the packaging) bed sheet amongst three .25 sheets and then asked me to take $1.00 for all of them. I said yes before I realized and then when I did, I thought, "Really? Your integrity is worth .75 cents?????" and I let him leave so proud of himself. 

On the other hand, one lady came up to pay and asked me if the raincoat in her pile was mine. I said yes. She paused for a minute and then said, "I found this in the pocket" - $7.00! I was so thankful! (BTW - another $10.00 was found in another coat pocket. Check your pockets in a yard sale!!!!) 

4. Ryan has really, really grown up. He handled so many of the negotiations. He made people laugh and buy things they didn't think they wanted. They would ask him how much he wanted for something and he would reply, "how much do you think it is worth?" They would laugh and comment about him putting them in the hot seat. I think he has watched a bit too much Pawn Star! 

It was a blast. Exhausting. Sweat inducing. Liberating. Rewarding. I was thrilled for all of the ladies who were so happy to find good condition plus size/tall clothes at a yard sale (a miracle believe me). After we dropped off the remaining stuff at Goodwill, I went and got a pedicure. A pedicure is not so much about the painted toenails. It is all about the foot and leg massage while getting a back massage. And sitting for an hour. Heaven. 

I am getting a bit creative today - I forgot that I signed up to feed the missionaries today. I have 1 pot, 1 cookie sheet, 4 bowls and 1 pyrex bowl. And some paper plates, cups and plastic forks. They might be getting frozen pizza ;). 

3 comments:

Judi said...

So fun to read about your yard sale experiences! I don't think I have ever heard of people feeling bad for not paying enough and giving more! Sounds like an article in the Ensign!

have a great Sunday!

The Wes Gordon Family said...

I live in Far West, I see on LDFR you are looking for info, but I am locked out of LDFR. If you want to email me I would be HAPPY to give you some answers. deannaggg at yahoo dot com.

Mangoose said...

Hi, I'm sorry to bother. But it seems that your son Ryan has been using my email address as a username to various sites, including Apple and ESPN.com

Please ask him to stop using it. He can't reset his passwords because the emails go to me...

I would really appreciate it!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...