Thursday, February 4, 2010

Matchmakers

Do you remember that one person who introduce to you something that you love, love, love? I have a few people who have done that for me. My middle school english teacher one day pulled "Anne of Green Gables" off the library shelf and said that I should read it. She thought I had a lot in common with Anne and would really enjoy it. The cover was very unattractive so I didn't read it just then, but I remembered her recommendation and eventually curiosity made me pick up the book a year or two later. I love, love, love Anne and still own most of the LM Montgomery books. I am still not sure exactly what my english teacher was referring to when she said I had a lot in common with Anne. I am never outspoken, intense, passionate or in the habit of dying my hair green. (although I do have a funny hair story to share one of these days.) What could she possible have been referring too? My point is I will never forget Mrs. S and will be eternally grateful for introducing me to Anne and Emily and the dear world of Avonlea.

My friend Meghan has been another matchmaker in my life. Soon after she moved to Oklahoma she asked if I had ever seen "Pride and Prejudice". I hadn't and her eyes sparkled with excitement as we planned a day for her to come over so we could watch it. We watched the first episode but running after kids wasn't so compatible with period drama watching so I was less than appreciative of this classic. Meghan left the rest of the series with me to watch and love at my leisure. A day or two later I watched the second one. It felt a bit slow and I'll admit to wondering what was just so wonderful about this movie. A few nights later I put in the third episode while I folded laundry after everyone had gone to bed. For those of you who don't know, a cliff hanger happens at the end of the 3rd video. I was hooked! I had to find out what was going to happen and stayed up until 3:00a.m. watching the remaining 3 videos. Loved, loved, loved it. Still do. I have since read the book a few times, watched various movie versions, and read spin off books. Little did I know that Meghan had introduced me to a world of wonderful friends. Since that day I have become very fine friends with the following -

Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibilitiy
Emma
Northanger Abbey
Jane Eyre
North and South
The Importance of Being Ernest
Under the Greenwood Tree
Cranford
Lark Rise to Candleford
Horacio Hornblower
Persuasion
Wives and Daughters
Nicholas Nickleby
Lorna Doone
Far From the Maddening Crowd
Our Mutual Friend
Little Doorit
Middlemarch
Mansfield Park

As you can see, a heavenly relationship. And the books are even better. My shelves hang low holding all my treasured loves. Thank you Meghan. You literally changed my life!

2 comments:

Judi said...

We have just finished watching Cranford on Masterpiece theatre through the internet. (our tv broke so we just use our computer now and were thrilled to find some good movies online)

Tonight we will begin the Emma series. I'm glad to know it is on your list. Ben said each time we watched a series from Cranford "have you asked Julie if she has seen it?" - he knew it would be something you'd like!

My kids love them and they are so wholesome - I like that!

Hope all is well - I love that you are blogging more these days.

Meghan said...

Ok, it is my turn to take you up on all of your good suggestions!! Woo hoo. I can't wait.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...