Monday, May 4, 2009

Windows of Heaven

A few months ago, I started a produce co-op with my friend Allyson. I had purchased great stuff from this restaurant wholesaler a few times and knew that it could be a great opportunity. I had told a few friends about the place, mostly talking about "Wouldn't it be great if..." but felt like I didn't have the time, resources (large enough car or garage), or a large enough group of friends to make it work. Then one day I found out they were open on Saturdays. I am off on Saturdays. Maybe I could devote the time... Then Allyson called and said, "Let's do it. I'm in! How can I help?" And so it began.

We started with 6 families and over the months have grown to about 25+. Everyone pays $20.00 & we buy as much as we can. It is work. The Friday night before co-op is spent with last minute emails & phone calls to get the final count of who is in & where we are meeting to pick-up. We all take turns buying & then meet together to sort everything. Co-op days usually take a couple of hours out of my day. But it is soooooo worth it! I love co-op days.

First, it helps so many people. Most of the families share their "share" with other family, friends, or neighbors so while 31 families are on the books, many more are helped. Second, the wholesaler named our account "The Church Ladies" which I love, especially since we are from different faiths. This started as a group of friends from my church & has grown to include neighbors, friends, co-workers, baseball team families, etc. Third, co-op day is like Christmas - you never know what goodies you are going to find in your box. I had my first fresh mango two weeks ago. I learned that I need a tutorial in how to eat one. Quite comical! I have never had so many kiwi, avacados, incredible strawberries, or other fresh fruit. Fourth, I love seeing everyone show up to get their stuff. The teamwork & good will. I always have such a great feeling to see a TON of work get done in less than 20 mins. It is a spiritual high. And lastly, I have learned that when you take a leap of faith, the Lord provides the means. I still don't have a big enough car or a garage, but we have been able to make it work. This weekend I was praying over some of the needs of the co-op and the Lord has been providing. I love being close enough to see it happening.

Last Saturday was co-op day. And this is what my $20.00 bought:

A huge bag of grapes, 2 awesome heads of romaine, tons of apples (Gala), oranges, bananas, 4 kiwi, 2 yams, 12 of the largest, sweetest carrots on the planet, a bunch of celery, 2 large crowns of brocoli, a bowl of button mushrooms, & a bowl of roma tomatoes. And a partridge in a pear tree. :) Allyson figured out our costs -

apples - .31/each
carrots - .25/pound
oranges - .25/each
romaine lettuce - .73/each
celery - .66/each
bananas - .51/pound
kiwi - .08/each
broccoli crowns $1.07/each
broccoli florettes $1.44/pound
grapes - $2.19/bag
tomatoes - .11/each

I came home & washed, sliced & diced and had a hard time finding room for all the good things to eat. What is that scripture? "And there shall not be room enough to receive it."

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Wow! That produce sure looks good. Nice job.

Sara said...

That is so awesome! I would love to do something like that around here. It makes it so much easier to stay on the weightloss wagon when you have lots of fruits and veggies going bad if you don't eat them!

Meghan said...

What a wonderful way to try new things! I love the image of everyone working together. Makes me want to be a part of it.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...