Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mother's Day

Today is my mom's birthday. She would have been 60. The opening hymn today in church was "Because I Have Been Given Much", her favorite hymn and the closing hymn was "God Be With 'Till We Meet Again", the final hymn sung at her funeral. In a way, it felt like she was wrapping her arms around me giving me a hug.

When my dad turned 60 last year, we all got together and wrote reasons why we love him. My sister printed them up on business cards, laminated them and put them on a ring. It has been so much fun reading (& remembering) each person's memories. I thought I would share a few of my memories of my mom.

I love my mom because she was there. When I came home from school she was there. When I came home from activities I would wake her up and tell her all about it. Once my entire family drove 4 hours to see a college performance of mine. After the show, they got in the car and drove all the way home. I especially remember coming home as a teen and telling her all about my seminary lesson that day. We had some great discussions.

I love my mom because she was a homemaker. She taught me how to garden, can food, stretch a dollar and sew. She taught me how to care for & love children. She showed me a love of reading and how to have a sense of humor. She showed me how to share with others and see others' needs.

Mostly, I love my mom because she loved the Lord. She accepted the gospel and taught me a great example of service. Through various trials in life, she proved her devotion to the Lord. She never wavered. Her life is her testimony and I have been so blessed because of it.

I love you Mom! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Judi said...

What would we do without our moms? My mom would have been 71 in June. I too am grateful for the things she taught me as I can carry those on with my own children.

I enjoy your blog! Thanks for the things your share - they get me thinking.

Enjoyed our chat yesterday - we will have to do it again.

Teebee said...

We sang, “Because I have been given much” in Relief Society today also. I have to admit I forgot that today was her birthday. Looks like I got a reminder. I wanted to add my reasons why I love her.

I love Mom because she taught me what it is to be strong. To stand up for things and people you believe in.

I love Mom because she taught me that no matter what family is the most important thing.

I love Mom because she always stayed true to her testimony and the prophet’s council. I remember when the doctor assisted suicide bill was up in Oregon. I remember her stating that she could see why people would support it (given her medical condition and pain at the time it was not surprising) however when the prophet counseled us to protect the sanctity of life by voting against it she followed without question.

I think that Mom must have sung, “Because I have been given much” with a touch of irony in her voice at least once. But either way I know that she was grateful for all of us and the many other blessings she had.

Thank you Julie for the post.

Sara said...

I remembered it was Mom’s birthday today. I talked about it with Shawn and the kids. She should have lived long past this birthday. It seems like I miss her more each year. There are too many things I wish I could have talked to her about. Things I wish I had asked; but I am glad for the 53 years she did have and all that she taught me.

I love Mom because she taught me about unconditional love and forgiveness. I know I did a lot of things wrong and made some very big mistakes in the years before she died. Now as a Mother myself, I know what she must have felt and how she must have prayed for me. No matter what I did I always knew my Mother was there for me.

I love Mom because she taught me how to be a Mom. She wasn’t perfect but she LOVED us more than anything. She was always there for us after school. She made sure we were always busy with activities including Girl Scouts, 4-H, swim lessons and a wide variety of sports, which she attended faithfully. She would also stand up and fight for us kids if she needed to. I remember how upset she was when she found out I had missed lunch one day in 2nd grade because the teacher forgot to come get me out of “time out”. I am sure he probably remembers Mom to this day. And I know he is not the only teacher/principal that will never forget Mom because of the way she would fight for her children and their education.

I love Mom because of her example in the gospel. She held a valid temple recommend up to the day she died. She had her visiting teaching done for the month when she passed away. I never questioned her testimony or love for the Lord. Even when I didn’t listen she always led by example.

I love you Mom!

Cinderill said...

I didn't read this post yesterday because I knew I would cry. I am.

I too miss her dearly. I wish she was here blogging along with us. I loved her hair-brained ideas. Do you all remember the chickens in the bathtub at Stormie's house? That could have been a scene from a movie it was so funny. I loved that she was always there for us. I loved the way she accepted the gospel and after that tried to hold scripture study and FHE even though it wasn't something she had ever done before. I love the way she loved a good garage sale and the candy bars in her purse. I loved going shopping with her and getting a treat that had to be eaten by the time we got home so the other kids wouldn't be jealous. I love how she used to rock us on her lap and braid our hair. I can't wait to see her again. I am pretty sure she will be the one to come and pick us up when it is our turn to go. While I will be sad to leave my kids and husband I would be so happy to see her.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...