Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mall woes...

I took Ry & his friends to the mall today. I do not think that I can put into words how passionately I hate malls. The nearest mall to our home growing up was some 80 miles away. And we could never afford mall prices so I never saw the point to spending hours walking around looking at stuff I could never buy. As an adult, malls overwhelm me. I think I may have selective ADD - there is so much stuff, so many stores, so many people, so much pointless walking. How in the world do you ever find a bargain? I think I have only been in a mall maybe a dozen times my entire life.

So, where did this desire to go to the mall come from in my son? Ry & his friends have asked/begged to go to the mall for the last few weeks so I finally gathered my strength & some Tylenol and we went. The kids were great and we were only there an hour. And yet the whole time I just kept thinking how I am not ready for the teen years up ahead. Sigh...

4 comments:

Alisa said...

I think I know what you mean-
But I do have this side of me that loves the mall.
I worked in a mall for 6 1/2 years- and I love how it smells when I go inside. I loved seeing the new styles coming out- and I loved having the awesome 50% discount.
But fast forward to today- and I don't go often enough to find good deals. When I do have time alone- I don't usually use it to go to the mall.
And when I go with kids- its survival mode!

Meghan said...

I am the opposite. We just lived 4 blocks from two malls and if we ever needed anything we just headed to the mall. I was on my mission before I set foot in a WalMart. I think the key is that you have to go often to get the really good deals. Lately though, I keep my eye on my favorite websites and track sales. When I see that there are things I want to buy, I then go to the mall to save on shipping.

Kim Allsup said...

I am sooo with you! I don't like malls either. I had to drive 60 miles to our nearest mall.

Judi said...

I am with you! I feel so overwhelmed when I go. I actually don't like Costco either though! I think I just don't like "consumerism" - buy, buy, buy . . . and you know that people can't possibly have the money to buy that stuff - or do they?

But what a nice mom to take the boys there! So what did they want to see? You said you were only there for one hour! I thought malls were just a "girl" thing!?

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...