Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Welcome Home!

Sunday Evening~
As I said yesterday, we made it my friend’s home and had a great few hours visiting. Pamela is such a good friend – we actually met on the internet! We both visited a homeschooling board and struck up a friendship. Eventually we met in person and now seem to see each other once a year or so. Each time, we just pick up where we left off.

I’ve been thinking of friendship lately. One of the remarkable traits about Joseph Smith is how everyone considered him a dear friend, even if they only met him once in their lifetime. Quote after quote talked about how he listened to each person and how loved they each felt. He cheered with them their celebrations, truly mourned their heartaches, and always served them cheerfully. I want to be more like that. One of my goals this Nauvoo adventure is to improve listening ~ to really hear what others are saying.


This morning we attended Sacrament meeting with Pamela’s family after eating a killer breakfast casserole. Three times Ryan reminded me to get the recipe so I guess it will be a keeper! Ryan had the opportunity to step out of his comfort zone a bit and help pass the sacrament. It became a lesson in miscommunication. He didn’t really know exactly where he was supposed to pass too (each congregation is slightly different). He was doing a great job and a couple of times I smiled my encouragement. I knew he was self conscious, but he was doing an excellent job. Afterward, I found out that his self-conscious self interpreted my smile as laughing at him.  What?????? After we got it resolved, the rest of the meeting went well. The speakers spoke about missionary work and I loved this scripture/quote printed in the program:
           
“How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace and bring glad tidings.” Romans 10:15   Quentin L.Cook said of this scripture, “It has been observed that the members are going to have to move their feet and let their voices be heard if they are to achieve this blessing.”

Loved it! The other quote I loved and am adding to my collection  is  “Rub some dirt on it”~ when you feel like complaining and life is hard – just  “rub some dirt on it”; get to work. Life gets easier when you just get to work.





After sacrament we said goodbye and headed for the road. We only stopped once for gas and some sandwiches and spent the time listening to the Book of Mormon on CD and listening to John Bytheway’s “Get an Attitude”. We arrived at 4:30 and went straight to our lodge. We are renting a little cabin just outside of Nauvoo and it is wonderful! The owners are the sweetest people I have ever met. It feels so homey – filled with antiques and deer heads – a hunter’s paradise. Incredibly peaceful. I keep thinking, “I could live here forever.” We unloaded and found homes for everything and spent time visiting when my parents arrived.  Around 6, Ryan, my sister Heather and I drove into Nauvoo. We first went to the pageant site – so different! The lights are up on the towers but the stage is still being built and the sound tents are not up. The chairs and all of the frontier country fair need to be set up as well. I am excited to see it tomorrow. I love seeing everything take shape as everyone pitches in.

We drove to the middle school and all checked our email. Everything is exactly as I remember it. Over and over again, it feels like home. We ran into friends from last year’s cast that are in our cast again this year at the temple as we drove back. I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

We ran a few errands and then came home. My dad read aloud a chapter from one of the Patrick McMannus book he just bought and we all laughed. Highly recommend McMannus for lots of laughs.

We ended the day with family prayer. I loved kneeling with my family, listening to my dad’s voice pray for the Lord’s blessings on this missionary opportunity. It is funny. I have only been here for a few hours and yet I already feel taller spiritually. I love feeling like I am home.


1 comment:

Judi said...

I'm glad you arrived safely and that you had a chance to visit with your friend Pamela. I wonder if Ben's brother was there at church? He recently bought a house so I don't know if it put him in a different ward or even if Pamela lives in the same ward as she did.

What a fun place to stay at . . . so cozy. I'm glad your dad is there with you. (Your step-mom too??)

Wish we could be there this time but we will be heading out tomorrow for my family reunion and then come home for a few days only to head out again to Arkansas for a visit and for Camille's baptism. When are you coming back through Missouri to head home?

Look forward to following your time in Nauvoo. Sorry for my long comment! :)

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...