Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gathering



Saturday, June 26 close to midnight
I called my dad early this morning and they had just passed security at the airport headed to St. Louis! For some reason I thought they were flying out tomorrow. I also received an email from a cast member saying the gathering had begun! Core cast, directors, costuming, technicians and staff are all arriving and going to work. It is such a cool feeling to feel part of a huge gathering of people. We have been keeping them in all of our prayers. 

Today, I have been intentionally putting first things first. As a result, I slept last night instead of making another mid-night run to Walmart. I showered and dressed early and drove to the temple this morning instead of packing while lingering in my pajamas all morning. I was grateful that Ry had a great time rock climbing with the scouts instead of impatiently focusing that he was late getting home. So what that we left at 4:00 instead of 1:00? We left with smiles on our faces and the Spirit in our hearts. My house is a bit cleaner than it would have been and (so far) I've remembered everything, thanks to the extra time. I am liking this "first things first" idea. 


I am trying a few new things on this trip - 
*Money - I put my cash in a Dave Ramsey envelope and I am writing down where I spend it and how much. Always before I just throw the dinero for a vacation in my wallet and spent it. At the end of the vacation, I have NO IDEA where it all went and usually only a magnet to show for it. Not this time! I am going to know where I wasted/ate my money. 

*Chocolate - as needed only. For the first time evah, I did not stock up the car with peanut M&M's, Oreos and trail mix (loaded with chocolate). I suddenly realized that there is chocolate at every gas station in America and I could just pull over and buy some as needed. I know, duh! Either I am going gain slightly less poundage on this adventure or I miss the adventure completely because of the constant stops... we'll see. 

*Munchies - I found my perfect munchies! Who knew I would LOVE sliced English cucumbers, carrot sticks and almonds so much? Not I! Even had one of those rare mothering moments when Ry put away his half eaten bag of chips and asked if he could have more cucumbers. Yes, I think I heard angels singing in the background! :)


This McDonald's is in Vinta, OK and is above the freeway. We stopped, walked around the gift shop and grabbed a burger. 


We drove 5 hours today - we are half way there! We spent the drive talking about some goals and expectations for Nauvoo, listening to a John Bytheway CD - First Solo (highly recommend all of his stuff) and listening to the Book of Mormon on CD for an hour. We arrived at my friend's home after 9:00 and her two boys and Ryan spent the next hour+ in a nerf guns war and making paper airplanes.


I am so grateful for wonderful friends - I have been blessed to be friends with some amazing people. 

PS-
 I am posting from the Middle school in Nauvoo. We arrived at 4:30 - no problems, just a bit stiff. Our lodge is AMAZING!!!! So perfect for us. We unpacked and drove around for a bit. It feels so much like home. So many details are exactly how I remember it from last year. I am taking more pictures and will write more tonight & post in the morning. I love this place!!!! 

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Hey, I have been to that McDonald's. I think it might even be the largest on in the world. I am hanging on every word you write.

Da Dandy Davis' said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start!! Your blog is getting me more excited for our trip. It has been hard to be overly excited this year because I am pregnant and suffering with morning sickness and kidney stones. I have two weeks to be on top of my game. Enjoy your time in Nauvoo!!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...