Friday, April 2, 2010

Days 5 & 6

The Last Supper-
For the last nine years we have had a Passover meal and read the events of the atonement and crucifixion. We have a Bethlehem dinner on Christmas Eve and a Passover meal just before Easter. Many times I have almost talked myself out of having the dinners. They are a bit of work and we are not Jewish. Yet every time I am so grateful that we took the time and created the memory.


We eat on the floor with pillows and candlelight. We use a common wooden bowl and eat with our fingers and with pita bread. 
Bread, couscous, and lamb (huge hit this year)


Parsley, romaine, roasted egg, raisins and carrots.

Haroset - My favorite. Apples, almond & walnuts, cinnamon and grape juice. The apples and nuts symbolize the bricks and straw and the grape juice symbolizes the blood of the jews that was split to bind them together as they lived in slavery. 

We also had grape juice to drink. 

Candlelight dinners are so special. We talked about the symbolism of the parts of the meal and the story of the Israelites. The discussion turned to Christ's last supper, the garden, the arrest, the "trial", the scourging, the crucifixion, the suffering, the end, the purpose and the joy. Tears poured down my cheeks and Ry hung on every word. He came around and sat next to me, held my hand and wiped a tear or two of his own. 
Matthew 26:36-39
36 ¶ Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called aGethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and bpray yonder.

  37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and abegan to be sorrowful and very heavy.

  38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is aexceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and bwatch with me.

  39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and aprayed, saying, O my bFather, if it be possible, let this ccup pass from me: nevertheless not as I dwill, but as ethou fwilt.

Doctrine & Covenants 19:16-19

16 For behold, I, God, have asuffered these things for all, that they might not bsuffer if they would crepent;

  17 But if they would not repent they must asuffer even as I;

  18 Which asuffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might bnot drink the bitter cup, and shrink—

  19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and afinished my preparations unto the children of men.



There is so much to the story, so many details with lesson not to be missed. I love that we can celebrate this holiday for a few days, that it is not over yet. 

2 comments:

Alisa said...

I so love reading your perspective this week. I want to incorporate so much of what you have written into our family celebrations.
Thank you for taking the time to write it all down- I can refer back to it!

jarrleckie said...

I'm inspired by your efforts this week. Wondering if I can incorporate them the week after Easter since it's too late now! What a great mom you are - what a lucky guy Ryan is to have you as a spiritual giant in his life.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...