Saturday, October 4, 2008

Race for the Cure

I can do hard things. I went to bed at 2:00a.m., woke up at 6:00, left the house at 6:20, finally found a parking spot at 7:20, spent almost an hour getting through the crush of 17,000 people, and had a great time walking the 5k. I did run the last block & a half. It was very encouraging - so many survivors, so many with notes on their shirts about who they were honoring. I thought about my friend Cindy Prentice who died a couple of months ago after an 11 yr. battle with breast cancer. I thought about Mitch - a boy Ryan's age who died a year ago from Lukemia. I thought about the qualities of survivors. I thought about life. It was amazing to see so many people, to hear the music throughout the race. Life is so full, so many twists & turns, so many blessings. I went by myself and in a way I am glad. I did think but more than that, I just experienced. I listened to the life around me, the weather was perfect and I just enjoyed it. This is my life and it is an amazing gift. I am so glad that I did it.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Alisa said...

Hooray for you! I thought of you all morning, and wondered how it went.
I agree so much with 2 things you wrote. 1. I can do hard things. That is a phrase I have been repeating over and over, to myself and my family. I want to have Kim make something with the quote on it.
2. That you did it by yourself. I can relate so much to that. There are some experiences that are wonderful to share with others, but have so much meaning when done by yourself.
I am cheering for you! You can do hard things. You have the strength within you, and that with your faith in Christ and his Atonement will carry you through!

Meghan said...

I am right with you and Alisa. My mission president would always say, "We do hard things!" Ever since it has been my motto. Whenever the kids say it's to hard I simply reply, "well, we do hard things." I thought about you this morning too. Enjoy conference!!

Teebee said...

Congratulations! I am so proud of you. I Know you can do hard things. I have watched you do them all of my life. I am so glad to have such a great big sister that has given me a wonderful example of what a daughter of God does. I love you! Call me some time!

Love
Tee

Judi said...

I was hoping you'd post something about your race. I'm so glad it was a good morning! I'm not so sure going to bed at 3 a.m. was the best idea :). I hope you got a nap in between sessions!

I go back and forth about running with a partner and running alone. I almost feel like running alone is best for me right now (good thing too because I can't find anyone interested in running with me). It gives me some alone time which I rarely get these days. Time to think.

Arthritis Foundation does a Jingle Bell run around Christmas maybe you can shoot for that one next or even sooner a Turkey Trot for Thanksgiving. I do best with a race in site to make me keep running!

You are great!

Kim Allsup said...

great job Julie!

jarrleckie said...

I am SO proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm glad you had time to yourself to really think and full experience this.

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately that I think you are an amazing woman who is doing amazing things! Well you are!

shara said...

I am so impressed w/ you. Not just for the Race for the Cure completion, (although that is great). I am impressed w/ you and am greatful for you in all the monumental "things" you are doing in your life. Love ya!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...