Monday, February 18, 2013

Week in Review

Highlights of the Week:
Monday we had the missionaries over for dinner. I made a chocolate cake recipe that I have wanted to try for a  couple of years - it was delish! We watched this video which made me cry:
http://youtu.be/H4zZH0v8DcY

It is so wonderful to see the work moving forward but I am even more excited for the difference for these young people. The ripples of this experience will reverberate through out their lives.

I had the opportunity to teach a 5th grade class this week that was fabulous. These kids are amazing. It was so cool to see their discussions and opinions and to see them apply the concepts.

Kinder - kinder is wonderful. Amazing. So rewarding. These kids love me so much and I soak it up. We started reading words and complete sentences this week. They love it! We also completed their quarterly math assessments and they did so well. We also updated their letter names & sounds assessments and I was very pleased at their progress. As soon as everyone successfully meets their letter names & sounds goals we are having a Donut party. Lastly, we are working on learning all of our learning songs really well because we are going to make a CD that each student will take home at the end of the year. The kids are so excited to be published singers. ;)

I met my new group of 10 first graders that I will be teaching for 1 hr. 15 mins. three times a week. Great kids. It was funny - I was exhausted by the end as I always forget how hard the first day or two are while I am establishing rules and routines.

Ryan is driving. He actually does a lot better than I did at his age. He seems to think turn signals are optional but we are working on it. ;) I think  next week is his last week of Driver's Ed. Friday he had his last speech and debate tournament. It was districts and he took 10th out of 50 students. He was thrilled as some of the students are older than him and have more experience. I must say, he looks very sharp in his suit and the new dress coat he got for Christmas.

Saturday am I took my first two of 6 certification exams that I need to pass to gain my Washington certificate. I PASSED! This is a bit huge because math and I are not close friends. I was a bit worried. I have 3 more that I will take April 13 and the hopefully the last one in June. We will have a small party when I finish them all!!!

My dad and Sandy spent the night on Sat. and went to church with us. Some highlights:
*One of the speakers said, "Grace is NOT the finishing touch at the end of our lives. Grace is the Finisher's touch every day in our lives." I love that!
*The closing hymn was "Let Zion in her Beauty Rise" - a theme song from Nauvoo. All four of us sang it at the top of our lungs with tears in our eyes.
*I love my primary class! They are wonderful and seem to be learning so much. We spend the first 5 mins. scripture chasing, but not the 'normal' way. I wanted them to become familiar with the parts of the scriptures so we are chasing the title page, index, footnotes, date line, 3 & 8 witness, introduction, JSH, articles of faith, fascimiles, etc.

Lastly, I created my Treasury Report binder for the year. I spent some time looking for tips online and am excited to use it. It will be nice to chart our financial progress!

Goals for this week:
Finish a couple of books I have going
Try 1 new recipe
Re-organize my teaching binders and finish my sub binder
Finish 1 foot on my afghan
Get my new computer online and start downloading pictures
Take 1 picture a day


What are your goals this week?

1 comment:

Judi said...

Oh I think I will do that scripture chase idea for FHE tonight.

So good to read your post!

:)

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...