Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Beginnings

So many beginnings....

July was Ryan's BSA Eagle Court of Honor and a move to Vancouver, WA. Both milestones for us. The move changed me - we sold or gave away most of what we owned and only took the truly most important memories with us. It was liberating. The weight of unfinished projects fell off my shoulders. The past fell into the past. And what I kept took on an indescribable value. My sister flew out and helped me load the last and we drove our modern day wagon out on Sunday, July 26. 35 mins. into our trek west the AC compressor died and we mourned his passing for the next 3 days while we drove through the mid-west in 111 degree temps. O pioneers!

August was a month of new beginnings. Visiting all of our family and friends in the Northwest and attending Jordan's (my niece) wedding at the Logan temple. Soooo beautiful. Peaceful. The sealer mentioned something that really caught my attention. He mentioned that the day of their wedding was the second most important day of their lives, second only to the day of their births. He talked about this day being the birth of a family. I've thought of that often and love the wealth of understanding that the thought brings. 

August brought the new beginning of our new duplex which is a beautiful miracle. Ryan made a list of everything he wanted in our new home and this one checks off all the boxes. I do think next time he will ask for a slightly larger bedroom as his is a bit smallish. But it is home and we couldn't ask for more. We are very blessed. 

September brought the double adventure of high school with new friends. I am proud of how Ryan was out going and made new friends even though he really misses his old friends. He joined the Speech and Debate team and has done well in his first two tournaments. He has worked hard on his grades and wants to join the leadership team next year. 

September also brought me a wonderful job. It was a miracle that I am so grateful for! I went to interview for a posted position that wouldn't be enough to keep us a float and within hours I was interviewing for my current position upon the original interviewers' recommendations. I am an ELL (English Language Learner) coach for 1/2 day and an ELL Kindergarten teacher for the other 1/2 day. I love, love, LOVE my job. I never knew I would love teaching kindergarten but I do. They are some of the best people on earth. I work at a Dual Language Magnet school - I love the team and the challenges it has been teaching me. It has been a wonderful new beginning. 

October brought Ryan's 15th birthday. I could never put into words how much I love him. It is a privilege to be his mother. He is funny. He is kind. He is thoughtful. He loves baseball, certain tv shows, having the missionaries over for dinner, swimming at the rec. center, texting and calling his dad. He is diligent in memorizing his seminary scriptures, keeping up with the reading, and his priesthood responsibilities. He LOVES his cousins and spending time with his Aunt Tracy and building stuff with his Uncle Shawn. He dislikes chores and riding his bike home in the rain. He hates brussel sprouts. He loves laughing and life and I love sharing it with him. 

November has brought callings - Ryan is the teacher's quorum president and I was called to the primary (age 10-11) and the local Festival of Nativities committee. It brought family gatherings  - a big reason why we moved here.

December brought a mix of emotions. I really missed my friends from Oklahoma City. They had so many incredible experiences that I ached to be a part of with them. At the same time, it brought wonderful memories with my family here. We spent 2 fabulous days at Great Wolf Lodge - SO. MUCH. FUN! Join Groupon just to wait for a coupon - it was so worth it. Over the 2 weeks, we made so many memories - surprising Ryan with the game station he wanted, playing in the snow with cousins, a Lord of the Rings marathon, See's chocolates and Starbucks hot chocolate, sobbing through Les Miserables (twice!), and playing Pit on New Year's Eve. December brought so much laughter and butterfly kisses from sweet neices and nephews.

We are stretching. At times we can feel the burn of the stepping stone challenges the Lord is setting before us. Daily I miss my loved ones in Oklahoma and I do mean daily. The first six weeks I thought constantly of the song, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." Tis true. I miss 'home' yet see the miracles and blessings here and know that the Lord is in this decision to be here. The people here are good people. They have welcomed us and I know that I will one day feel the same way about each of them. 

New beginnings are good. They are such a unique snapshot of time. Moments to make first impressions and to see things with unbiased and unknowing eyes. I look around and wonder what adventures and relationships await. They also make you realize the priceless value of friendship, love and kindness. I challenge each of you this week to scatter kindness. Life is good. Live it.

Happy New Year!

Love, 
Julie

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

So glad Vancouver is working out...if not sooner I will be there in August.

Judi said...

You are back! Loved reading your update!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...