Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Spirit of Christmas ~ Thoughtful Consideration

I've thought about posting this for years. Like breastfeeding, homeschooling, religion, politics, and a hundred other subjects, I've found Santa Claus to be one of the sacred cows in our culture. So I've said little if anything at all. But I do have some thoughts. I have an opinion. I have a voice. And if I can't share my voice on own my blog, where can I share it? Please know that the following is not my attempt to convert anyone to my way of thinking. Or to judge others' way of doing things. It is purely an attempt to share one more voice and to record how I came to some of the thoughts I have. 


It is funny how little things can become big, personal things. Tim and I dated while attending Weber State University. He was a Sociology major and one of his favorite professors was Dr. Gilespie. Every year Dr. Gilespie would hold his annual "Anti-Claus" lecture/debate. Intregued, we went. To say it was thought provoking might be an understatement. I had never considered Christmas without Santa Claus. They went hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly or hot chocolate and marshmallows. I didn't buy into all he said, but I also couldn't discount much of what he said either. More than anything, I came away with a determination to purposefully create a meaningful holiday. For me, it became more about focusing on Christ than eliminating Santa.However, I also found that as I spent more time and effort on Christ, the result was that Santa (decor, songs, fables) became almost non-existent in our home.

I purposely purchased decor that reflected Christ. I started collecting Nativities and hope one day to have one in every part of the house. We found Christ in many of our typical decorations - the tree, the lights, the ornaments, the colors, the wreaths, the music, the scents, the gifts all have special meanings that have remind us of Christ. I kept the decorations and traditions that reflected Christ and we do have a few Santa things - a beautiful quilted wall hanging lovingly made by Ry's first piano teacher and a couple of ornaments from my childhood - things that spoke of love, family, service.

I also studied up on the tradition of St. Nicholas. If the legends are even partly true, he was a good, righteous man. He was generous, especially to the poor, needy, and the children. Three known historical accounts tell of him secretly leaving gold in the stockings or shoes of families in need. He spent much of his time imprisoned for his beliefs and was a frequent champion of the unjustly accused. The more I learned of St. Nicholas, the more I felt like he led a Christ-like life. I loved his generosity, his love, his unselfishness, his convictions, his work. I decided to keep the stockings traditions.

Growing up, our stockings were filled with an orange, nuts, hard candy, some chocolate and a small gift or two. I kept those traditions. To capture the spirit of St. Nicholas, we all exchanged stockings each year and the kids LOVED deciding on the perfect gifts and filling the assigned stocking. I found they were much more excited about the one they filled than their own. After they had gone to bed, I slipped a letter into each stocking. The Christmas letters have become one of my favorite Christmas traditions by far. I have loved the search for the right word to adequately express my heart for each family member. I have loved 'seeing' them in a different light and noticing things about them that might otherwise have been forgotten. I love that Ryan has a collection of love letters from his mother. I love that in the business of the season, I found time to express what mattered most to me. I love that the letter is the first thing Ryan opens on Christmas morning. I love that he has started writing a letter to me and slipping it in my stocking on Christmas Eve.

When asked if I believe in Santa, I began to say, "I believe in the spirit of St. Nicholas" and I do. I began to look for ways our family could help others through out the season. Some years that has been delivering gifts, other times volunteering in the community, others spending our time with others. We talk often of the best gifts for Christ, what those look like, and how St. Nicholas lived his life. I spent some time and created a Christmas Devotional book where we would sing songs, read scriptures and tell inspiring Christmas stories. Often the devotionals would end with a challenge to service others and soak up the celebration of the season. I don't think there has been a single year yet that we have done all of the devotionals. Life gets in the way sometimes. But that has also kept if fresh each year.

I've never asked Ry (or any other kids in my home) what they wanted for Christmas. Rather the question has always been, "What are you giving for Christmas?" Such a simple change of words completely changes the focus and attitude. We have given 3 gifts, which when added to the stocking and gifts from grandparents/extended family has always felt like a very full Christmas. Had Ryan had siblings, we would have had the kids make gifts for each other as well. I have loved how limiting the number of gifts has simplified the season for me. I have been able to enjoy the month instead of feeling rushed.

Over the years, I haven't condemned Santa nor actively eliminated him. I found that as I purposely chose traditions that reflected Christ, I had less time, money or opportunity to focus on Santa. I found that I didn't have time to visit Santa at the mall. I spent time scouring the internet for Christmas music that I loved and I found I had little time available for music I only liked. I found that I as I filled the season with the best things for us, there was little left over for other good things. Our culture permeates Santa Claus and Ryan has not been denied the opportunity to sit on his lap, watch the movies and sing the songs at the stores, school and activities. I just haven't invited him to our home. I have no regrets. I am so grateful we went to the Anti-Claus debate so many years ago not because it has taken anything away from Christmas, but because it has added so much more. I am grateful that I was provoked to thoughtful consideration and choose what has been best for us.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

As I've been making my plan for Christmas celebration, I came back to reread this post. I loved it the first time, and I have loved re-reading it again. Great thoughts to share with everyone.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...