Friday, August 20, 2010

First Day Back

Yesterday was my school's first day back. It was rough - my roughest one so far. It was more my issue than the group of kids I have. They seem really good and I am looking forward to the year with them. The day felt so disjointed and I was trying to incorporate some of the stuff I learned over the summer that is now required and it just felt awkward. And then two previous students had some major problems getting home. The bus routes have all changed and everything was a mess. Ugh.

I have one kiddo who doesn't speak a lick of English. I had the class fill out a form about last year, the good and the bad to prep for a goal activity for today. I translated it for kiddo and he was so funny. On the question - "What is one thing you would change about last year", he wrote I wish they had taught me English. :) I did have him logged on to the computers and working on some English programs before lunch. That is huge because in past years it has taken me a month or two to even get my computers up and running.

I get so emotionally vested with my students. I truly love them all so much. It was a great day to see so many of them come find me - even ones who are now in 5th grade. I end up being an advocate for so many of them, even after they leave my class.

I was absolutely exhausted after school. I had to drive to pick up Ryan from Tim and I was so tired I had to stop at a rest stop and sleep for 20 mins. We came home and both crashed.

But I am feeling much better this morning. I love my kids, I love teaching, and I am looking forward to today.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You should have called me on your way to pick up Ryan! I never know when is a good time to call you during the school year - I know how busy you are - so you call me! I hope you have a GREAT school year. I wish you were Caleb's 3rd grade teacher!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...