Thursday, August 27, 2009

Christmas Today & a Mish Mash Update

So many things to record...

I will continue another post or two about Nauvoo as soon as I can re-size pics. (hopefully this weekend). I told my friend Alisa that part of my problem is that I can use the pictures taken by everyone else on a pageant members only blog. Some of the photographers are professionals and there are over 60,000 pics. I get lost trying to find ones to use for my blog - by the numbers and by the memories. 

I also need to write a post about middle school for Ryan. Am I really old enough to have a middle schooler? I truly feel like the 24 yr. old just home from my mission. That is my golden age. I wonder if I will still feel 24 when I am 96...

School - is going sooooo much better than last year. I feel almost giddy at how much better I feel. I feel confident, capable, and am actually enjoying being a teacher. 8 kids did not show up so my class started out with 17 - I am now at 18 but MUCH more manageable numbers. And I do not have as many issues/meds to deal with that I had been originally told. It is such a blessing to feel capable. 

I am taking my final (or so they say) certification test on Sept. 19. And since I was spending a few hundred dollars, why not some more? so I signed up to take the ESL test as well. We will see if that was such a good plan. If I pass both, I will have my teaching certificate in 6-12 social studies classes with the Elementary K-8 endorsements and the ESL endorsement. I did find out that if I fail, I can retake them after they part me with a bit more of my hard earned savings. 

I have had such a great time in Relief Society lately. We had a fun Enrichment a couple of weeks ago - it was relaxing, renewing and a bit educational. Then I went to Book Club - so much fun. We discussed "The Giver" and "The Westing Game". I was a slacker and didn't read The Giver. The Westing Game I have listened to twice. It was just so much fun to talk about books - so many memories and connections with good books. We are reading Rahl Dahl next and then "The Secret Garden" which I LOVE. Lastly, Alisa and I got to visit with some other ladies from church a few times this past month and it was just fun. 

Wonderful news - my friends Jay & Alisa came over tonight and while we girls visited, Jay fixed my wireless connections!!!!! We have lived with a blue cord in the middle of our living room for forever now. We have tripped over it, argued over who would use it first, and felt leashed by it. Not only is it gone, but he installed my cordless keyboard and mouse. Heavenly days! I loooooove it. It feels like Christmas.

Lastly- I splurged on me. Today I came home to a package from Amazon. No, not books. DVDs. I can now watch "Under the Greenwood Tree", "Jane Eyre", "Pride & Prejudice" (2005), "Emma" (Kate Beckinsale) as many times as I want! I did get them all on super sales. Who needs tv when you have these along with "North & South", the Colin Firth "Pride & Prejudice" and the latest "Sense & Sensibility"? Did I say that today felt like a rich Christmas? I am thinking that I need to have a Chick Flick Party - anyone? 

2 comments:

Sara said...

Merry Christmas! I will be at your chick-flick party in spirit since I can't attend in person!

Anonymous said...

Oh I still have not watched Under the Greenwood Tree. I am glad you got some fun things for yourself!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...