Monday, July 20, 2009

Nauvoo





We made it. Great weather, great trip. We spent an hour walking around Hannibal, MO seeing all of the Mark Twain sights (pics to follow - I don't have time right now.) We listened to John Bytheway all the way. 

We arrived in beautiful Nauvoo Sunday at 6p.m. I can never tell you how amazing it is here. I feel like I am near tears constantly to be here, to experience this, to feel this. I did cry as I saw the temple last night. There are no words. It is so beautiful. We saw it with the sun slowly setting over the Mississippi. 


As I type this Ryan is watching and listening to the work crew - 15-18 yr. old young men who are singing "We Are As the Army of Helaman" during the lunch break. I think they are preparing for one of the devotionals or district meetings we have. These ym are preparing for their missions and are amazing. 
I am running out of time to post. I understand what it means in the scriptures when they say that they cannot write even a hundredeth part. I have so much to tell you already and I don't have time. 
Our campsite is AMAZING! We had costume fittings this morning, square dancing practice, the primary kids made puppets for the pre-show while the rest of us attended orientation for the pre-show. As I type this, a group of violins, cellos, & guitars is preparing. They sound so good. It looks like our next class is about missionary work. 

Oh, I have to tell you this - we sang the opening hymn acapella. I don't even remember what it was, but it was  so unbelievably beautiful. We had never sang together before and everyone sang it in parts - so amazing. I brushed away tears. I wonder what we will sound like after some practice. I truly felt angels singing with us. Spear & Weston families - I thought of you. You would both love this. So much music, so much laughter, so many smiles, so many feelings. 

Lastly- it was mentioned in one of the talks this morning that Nauvoo is a place of healing. I think so. Love you all so much!


4 comments:

Judi said...

Yeah! Glad to see you posted! And that you arrived safely. I am still so hopeful we will be their on August 1st. That is your last performance right? I will be in touch to let you know for sure!

jarrleckie said...

Funny - I thought about the two of you just today and said a little prayer that you would be well there in Nauvoo. Memories to last a lifetime!

The Lantern-Sharing Light and Searching for Truth said...

Nauvoo was a high point in our travels last year. We would love to be there with you. We spent three days their last summer and didn't want to leave. At the west end of Parley Street there is a shelter with names of people who left Nauvoo and died on the trail. Your third great grandmother's first husband Neils Climsen is listed and Peter Bravandt was Sandi's 4th great grandfather.
It is obvious that you know that you are in a special place. Immerse yourself in it and have a blast.

Alisa said...

I was hoping and praying you would make it safely- I am so glad you are able to post a little.
I am sure there is no way to record every experience you are having, soak it up.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...