Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tax Day

So my sister called me last night and asked what I was doing. I responded, "My taxes." There was hearty laughter on the other end. I thought it was rude too! :)

I am not a mathematical moron. I did my own taxes for years, usually the last week of Jan. I even did our married taxes the first few years of our marriage and then convenience drifted in. Tim had Turbo Tax at the office and so began the next 10 years of me collecting the documents and him filing them one night after work.

Enter divorce. Many women are financially lost when they get divorced but I have not had that experience. Until last night. Two weeks ago I stopped by the library to pick up the forms. They didn't have any. So I stopped by the post office. They didn't have any. They no longer print forms, you have to down load them from the internet. When did that happen?! Did I miss a memo?

Last night I printed out the forms thinking this will take an hour or so. Four hours later, two phone calls to my Brother in law in Washington state, 40 pages of resume paper because I am out of regular paper and just a wee bit of frustration, I printed off the Request for Extension form. I was very please to hear on the nightly news that Pres. Obama will be revamping the tax process and making it more user friendly. Yeah, I won't hold my breath.

So, lesson 1,488,367 from this last year - file your taxes with your hubby each year. Know what a 1040 is, where to find one & how to fill it out. Do it together.

4 comments:

shara said...

Hey- if you need help after filing the extention, let me know.

My taxes were filed (by Phil) ages ago and I have already spent the money. Good that I was able to pay some bills way back when- wishing now I had the $$$!

Sandi said...

Taxes!
Up 'til now, we always got money back, and were motivated to file early. This year, we owe a whopping 4 figure sum.
(It was hard letting go of it, I finally mailed the check today) What a rude awakening. :(
I guess we'll need to increase our withholding for next year. Sigh...

The Mrs. said...

Pete would be lost without me around to do the finances! At least colorado has a super easy online way to file, I was up early tax day filing mine. I guess I should start getting Pete in the loop.

Cinderill said...

I do the taxes, I always have. Divorce was simple cause I just dropped one SS# of the form. I HIGHLY recommend Turbo Tax. I login online and use the same login year after year. It remembers what I had last year so I just update new figures. It is so simple a monkey could do it. It even has a help button to read up on everything you are not sure of. I LOVE it. It is more than worth the small fee to use. Love Ya!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...