Thursday, December 25, 2008

Giving (one of multiple Christmas posts today)

I really love the giving part of Christmas. I also love the getting part. For me, they work together. This poem is in our Christmas Devotional book and expresses how I feel about sharing with each other.

Old Gentleman Gray

Said old gentleman Gray, "On Christmas day,
If you want to be happy, give something away."
So he sent a fat turkey to shoemaker Price,
And the shoemaker said, "What a bird, now how nice;
with such a good dinner set before me,
I'll send my chicken to poor widow Lee.
"This fine chicken, oh see!"
Said the pleased widow Lee,
"And the kindness that sent it, how precious to me.
I would like to make someone as happy as I,
I'll send washwoman Biddy, my big pumpkin pie."
And "Surely," Biddy said, " 'tis the queen of all pies,
Just to look at its yellow face gladdens my eyes.
Now it's my turn, I think, and a sweet sugar cake
For the motherless Finnegan children I'll bake."
Said the Finnegan children, Rose, Denny and Hugh
"It smells sweet of spice, and we'll carry a slice
To poor little lame Jake who has nothing that's nice."
Oh, I thank you and and thank you!" said little lame Jake
"I'll save all the crumbs, I won't waste a one
And give them to the little sparrows that come."
The sparrows they twittered as if they would say,
Like old gentleman Gray, "on a great Christmas day,
If you want to be happy, give something away."

3 comments:

shara said...

You were right. I love it. It was fun, sitting around the Christmas tree this morning. It seemed as if everyone was just as excited about the giving as the getting. Love w/ all my heart and elbows!

Anonymous said...

Thnks for sharing your blog over at LDFR. I've been enjoying it this afternoon.

Judi said...

Merry Christmas! I enjoyed reading all of your recent posts! It looks like you have a working camera now. I enjoyed the photos - you need Ryan to take one of you!

Thanks for sharing some of your traditions. I've been working hard to try and establish some of our own traditions this year. I decided not to do Christmas cards and take more time with focusing on the kids and making this a special Christmas for our family.

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...