Thursday, September 9, 2010

Book Reviews

Alliance by Gerald Lund
Good, easy read. Great book for family discussions about agency and why it is a gift. I've added it to my "Agency - Must Reads" list (along with Ella Enchanted and Tuck Everlasting) that are great for reading with kids 10ish +.  I had to buy this book online as I couldn't find it at the library or even at the church bookstore.

The Hobbit by JR Tolkein
I finally read this classic! I enjoyed this book, especially Bilbo. I love how he is a average hobbit and how he changes over the course of the book. I especially loved Gandalf and how everything he shares about the future is vague and subject to personal agency. My favorite part is when Bilboa faces the dragon in the castle. I did enjoy this book and I am glad that I have read it, but I was ready for it to move along. Excellent writing, I just wanted to get to the conflict a bit faster.

Sarah's Quilt by Nancy Turner
Sequel to "These is My Words". I loved rejoining Sarah's life again. The first book takes place over 20 years. This one takes place within a year or two which in my opinion is its major weakness - it looses a bit of credibility. I appreciated the story, especially Sarah's journey through grief and learning to move on again. I always learn from Sarah. Enjoyed the book, glad I bought it to re-read at times, loved the first one more and am looking forward reading the next one in the series.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Ryan and I listened to this one on cd. Ryan was funny - at first I had to make him listen to it but by the end, he was begging to finish. We both enjoyed it. Great fantasy read, especially for boys. We watched the movie after and like most, the book is WAY better. The movie is fine, it just doesn't compare to the book.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I just read The Hobbit. I enjoyed it but it didn't light a fire for me to read The Lord Of the Rings series. I'll get to it someday.

Sara said...

I have all the sequel books to the Lightning Thief on CD if you want to borrow them. Caleb AND Shawn loved them!

Each Life That Touches Ours For Good

Alisa's last selfie December  17, 2019, I received the following text:   “Friends. I have some devastating news. Our sweet friend Alisa...